Google AdWords & Marketing Help

Has anyone had success using Google AdWords or Social Media marketing to gain leads for Graphic Design or Website projects. I just started testing the waters with ads targeted to St. Louis, MO (Where I live) and an ad thats nation wide. I’ve had a few clicks but no bites yet.

Any tips on good key words?
Should I be “that guy” and offer specials or deals?
Anyone think offering specials or deals will make me look less professional or seem like a design/development" farm" like some of the logo designers we see on sites like Upwork or Fiver?

Hi @ajdsgn,

Here are a couple thoughts/ideas for you.

If you are set on using Adwords, I’d suggest using exact match keywords in the beginning so you can try to get as specific a visitor as possible. If you begin to see some promising returns, you can expand out to phrase match (I wouldn’t use broad match).

You can do some incredible fine tuning with Facebook custom audiences, so I would recommend looking into that if local traffic is a priority. I wouldn’t look to Google (or Facebook) as the place where you will go from cold lead to customer. Think of it as the intermediate step where you can offer the prospect something of value in return for a call or form submission. In a high-touch, high-service world like web design you’ll increase your chances of getting someone to preform the desired action by presenting lots of client examples (more the better) and recent testimonials (more the better).

Another thing that would work very well is a calendar people can see that shows your availability. This can be for two primary purposes. 1) If your goal is to get someone on the phone it’s great to work your landing page around letting them book an appointment and if they can do that in the first session - great! 2) If your schedule is currently somewhat full this is a great way to attract new clients. If they see that you are busy this will be a subconscious signal to them that you are good at what you do. Make sure to only do this if it is in fact your schedule, but I’ve seen this done a couple times in the past and it was very effective.

Finally, before you have any deal or offer, make sure you are 100% clear on what your end goal is with visitors to your site. Not sure what visitors are doing on your site? @Frimatek just shared a helpful resource for integrating HotJar with X or Pro: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/using-visitor-recordings-to-evaluate-designs-with-hotjar/372

If the goal ends up being for prospects to fill out a form, build the entire page around optimizing for that “conversion.” If it is having them call your phone, build the entire page around optimizing for that (and make sure you answer the phone right away) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great tips, thanks for sharing. I’m currently targeting my full website but a landing page would be a better idea. Maybe one dedicated to each ad service. Web Design, Logo Design etc. I think ill preform an A/B test maybe drive calls to the Logo LP and form contact with the Web LP.

I do have a few phrases in my ad words campaign, I will try the exact match method.

The calendar idea is a good one, I haven’t though of that… scheduling a 15min call at select times of the day would be great. I will have to search for a good booking plugin.

HotJar looks pretty awesome as well.

1 Like

In my 20 years or so as the owner of an agency I’d say that we’ve received about ZERO meaningful leads whenever we’ve used Google Ads. They can be a cheap form of marketing however for localized brand building to some extent however.

That said, much depends on your audience and the nature of their search criteria, as well as your service offering. Almost anyone searching for website design on the Goog will likely be cheap, a competitor, or some sort of DIY, working from Mom’s basement kind of person.

I’d agree with Kyle above with regards to exact match and to the idea of offering something of value vs hoping someone is looking for a website next week.

Knowing the audience you are wanting to attract and where they are in the buying cycle is critical to getting both the right people at the right time and lowering your cost and the time/resources required for client acquisition.

With my new agency we are going very narrow in a few select markets, starting local and widening our catchment area as we see traction. We only take on 1 client in an industry within a specific geographic radius so the selectivity of our targets is by design.

We get, and have always gotten more business from direct cold calling than any online advertising. 80% of our work comes from client referrals which almost all started from existing relationships, which came from picking up the phone and having a conversation.

We’ve also found Google Maps to be highly productive on the cold call front. Find an area with your target customers and hit a bunch hard and fast like special opps. Nobody does cold calls any longer so it’s pretty easy to find work.

Have fun!

2 Likes

Thanks for the tips. In my first test run I’ve have a few clicks but no conversions yet. I’m going to narrow down to surrounding zip codes and go from there as I gain some traction. Finding the small web gigs is no problem but the low budget websites being displayed don’t get big the fish. I do have a passion for small businesses and helping them grow so I’m going to redefine and re-market that as my target. Google maps is a good idea…I need a little practice on my cold calling skills. 80% of my client are through word of mouth and are all over the country and with only a few local projects under my belt, local seems to be the best target now. Most people like a real handshake rather than a virtual one.

From my point of view, we can use Adwords and social media for branding purpose but cannot expect to generate business from that. For increasing sales, we should focus more on positive reviews. This can be much beneficial than anything else.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.