Going from X-theme to child theme

I’ve spent a considerable amount of time implementing custom css throughout my website and in hindsight really should have been using a child theme to prevent losing/breaking the css with X-theme updates.

Can still I install and activate a child theme at this point or will this result in major work to move everything from the X-theme to the child theme?

Thanks!

Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to is. Setting up a child theme allows you to make code changes that won’t be overwritten when an X update is released. So it’s highly recommended to install a child theme and move all of your customization to your child theme. If you’ve only added custom CSS then that would be easy, simply copy all of your custom CSS and paste it into child theme’s style.css file.

Even at this point you can safely install the child theme and move your customization to your child theme, please see https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57

After your child theme is setup, please review how we recommend making template changes in Customization Best Practices.

Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.