Getting Error 500 message when trying to access the back end of site on wordpress

I am unable to access the WordPress dashboard / back end of my site in order to make edits. When I try to do so I get the following error:

The site itself is running perfectly fine, and when viewing the site it still shows me as logged in to WordPress:

After running a debug I have seen many cornerstone errors, but am reluctant to uninstall the plugin with the fear that the whole site will be messed up! I have also restored to an earlier version of the site, with no success.

Hi Mackenzie,

You can login through FTP then edit the wp-config.php file and find the line: define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );. Set it to true then save the file. Log back in the admin area and you should be able to see some more error information when you redo the steps you are having issues with.

If you are getting an error message that suggests: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of xxxxx bytes exhausted, it means that you need to have the PHP memory limit of your site increased.

To do this, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

Here is a details article about the PHP Memory Limit that is in our Knowledge Base:

In case the issue persists, please try to get in touch with your hosting provider and confirm to them that your PHP memory limit is increased.

If you are still having an issue, please provide us with the admin details of your site in a Secure Note so that we can check this further.

Hi Jade,

Thanks for the fast response! The config file is showing the following errors surrounding the ‘cornerstone’ plugin, but I am reluctant to simply disable the plugin in the fear that it will completely ruin the site.

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Hey Mackenzie,

It should be okay to disable Cornerstone as long as you do not edit the page contents while it is disabled. However, the only way for you to disable it is to login through FTP then go to wp-content/plugins and rename or delete the current cornerstone directory that is in there.

If you are using the latest version of X then when you login to the admin area, Cornerstone should be automatically reinstalled and activated.

In case you are still not able to get it sorted, please provide us with the admin and FTP access to your site in a Secure Note:

1 Like

Hey Jade,

I’ve deleted the cornerstone plugin through the FTP, but as expected essentially all of the content is missing. On the plus side I can see the WordPress dashboard!

How do I go about reinstalling it, or is all the content essentially lost?

Hello @Mackenzie_t,

Did you already deleted Cornerstone plugin in wp-content/plugins/ folder? To reinstall Cornerstone plugin, please go to X > Validation and wait for a few moments. Cornerstone will be installed and activated automatically.

Or you can also download the plugin and install it manually. Please check the secure note.

1 Like

Thanks for your help guys!

Potentially some impatience on my end, once I deleted cornerstone from the FTP and went back onto the WordPress dashboard and made a change to the settings it reinstalled cornerstone and the site is back to normal!

Only strange issue is that the nav bar is playing up, but that won’t take long to fix. :heart: :thumbsup:

You’re welcome!
We’re glad we were able to help you out.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.