General Customization

I would like to know how to edit my sidebars. I use the default styles for my site. I would like to know how to endlessly customize my sidebars to make it similar to the sidebars of wpbeginner.com and wpexplorer.com

Also, on WPExplorer, they have their breadcrumbs section edited. Could you recommend something to customize both sidebars and breadcrumbs section?

Hello @Auskook,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

I checked wpbeginner.com and wpexplorer.com sidebar and to mimic the style, you will have to customize the same using custom CSS. Please note that both the website especially wpbeginner.com is using bunch of custom developed widget and tools to suit their individual requirements. You can also visit wordpress.org and look for plugins that may help you to start the development process https://wordpress.org/plugins/

That being said I would highly suggest to get yourself comfortable with CSS and Google Chrome/Mozilla dev tools. I am sharing few resources that you can refer to get started:

CSS resource:

1. https://www.w3schools.com/css/
  2. https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn/CSS/Introduction_to_CSS

Google Chrome/Mozilla firefox dev tools:

If you would like to have more control on the breadcrumbs, please take a look at following plugin. You also have the option to research more advanced extensions depending on requirement:

Thanks.

Thanks, @Prasant. I’m fine with a little bit of CSS tweaking here and there. Will definitely check out the resources given!

Also, using the Integrity stack in my theme, whenever I hover over any of my images in a post, it’s opacity increases and sys permalink to … I would like to get rid of this, how can I do so?

Hi there,

To remove the hover effect please kindly add the CSS code below to X > Launch > Options > CSS:

.entry-thumb:before {
    display: none;
}

a.entry-thumb:hover img {
    opacity: 1;
}

For additional questions please kindly open up separate threads to follow up. Thank you.

Also, on the integrity theme, there is a little black triangle on the nav bar. I would like to disable that!

That worked! But when i hover over the photo, the title says “Permalink to: …”. How can disable that and change the title to the blog post link and not the photo link?

Hey @jas_mcaus,

Sounds like you’re referring to the Header Widget.

You can disable it in Appearance > Theme Options > Header > Widget Bar.

To remove the “permalink to” text, you need to add this code to your functions.php because there’s currently no option for it. We can only remove the text and not change it to the blog post link. For that, you need to hire a developer for further custom development.

function remove_permalink_to( $translated_text, $text, $domain ) {
  switch ( $translated_text ) {
    case 'Permalink to: "%s"' :
      $translated_text = __( '"%s"', '__x__' );
      break;
  }
  return $translated_text;
}

add_filter( 'gettext', 'remove_permalink_to', 20, 3 );

That code is tested and it works on our end.

Thanks.

1 Like

It works. Thanks a lot.

Another thing, on a mobile device, my nav bar shortens and turns into a little toggle. That toggle is in a little box. Please give me some code to remove that box around the toggle. I had asked the same thing on the previous forum before Apex. They gave me some code, but that was lost due to the change to Apex.

Also, the cornerstone editor takes a really long time to load and keeps on loading but without any success. What do you think is causing this problem??

Hey @jas_mcaus,

Please try this code.

.x-btn-navbar.collapsed {
    background-color: transparent;
    box-shadow: none;
}

Regarding the problem with Cornerstone, there are many factors that could cause issues. The most common is caching. Sometimes, it’s due to poor hosting performance or limitations in server configuration. Please try these solutions:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

7. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

If nothing helps, please open a separate thread and give us access to your WordPress admin in a Secure Note. Also post a link to this thread for reference.

Thanks.

The problem still seems to be happening. It keeps on loading like there’s no end to it!

I’ve updated the code but that still does’nt make it any better!

Hi there,

Please kindly open up a separate thread regarding the Cornerstone problem. Kindly add a test page and give us the URL/User/Pass of the WordPress dashboard there using the Secure Note.

On your new thread also give us the result of the troubleshooting steps below:

We will do our best to help you regarding the Cornerstone issue.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.