Future Theme Migration

I have a large corporate client who has had a very active blog over the years. May of their historical posts are in VC and I am converting them to Pro currently. My question is this… If in the future, they wanted to move away from Pro as a platform entirely and go with something else, they should simply be able to activate cornerstone and all the posts I’ve converted would continue to work properly, right? Even if they don’t use it for the creation and maintenance of posts after that. I am trying to avoid locking them into any single system.

I mean, I have done some customizations in the child theme to make things behave the way I want of course. But I should be able to work within some future theme’s structure with cornerstone active to achieve the desired results right? Wondering what thoughts you have about giving site owners the most flexibility to migrate away in a graceful manner. I feel like I’m on the right track but wanted to open a discussion about this.

Hey @simeoned,

I see all of your licenses are Pro. If in the future, you’re allowed to use Cornerstone, you’d need to purchase an X or a Standalone Cornerstone license so you’ll be able to use Cornerstone for all the content that was built with Pro Content Builder.

If what you mean is just use other page builders but you still use the Pro theme, you need to manually create the pages with the other page builders and after that, you can disable the Content Builder in Pro > Settings > Permissions.

Regarding child theme customizations, you should be able to move all your none theme related functions to another child theme. In case you’ll use X, follow the Updating Your Child Theme instruction at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/x-to-pro-conversion/104

Hope that helps.

Yes, all my licenses are Pro. I understand I’ll need to buy cornerstone. No worries there.

Here is what I am asking… again…

1. A bunch of blog posts are built using pro.
  2. Client wants to move to a different themes in the future.
  3. Blog Content built in pro breaks because there is no cornerstone powering it.
  4. I install a (yes, licensed) stand alone cornerstone.
  5. I work within the child theme to make wp-single.php play nice with the previous site’s content.
  6. The client builds new posts in whatever way they wish
  7. The blog content previously built using pro displays properly, the new content displays properly.

Does all of this sound accurate?

Hello @simeoned,

Thanks for updating the thread.

That’s right. If blog posts are created using Pro content builder and in future client want to move to a different theme but has installed Licenced Cornerstone then there won’t be any issues related with blog posts. Those posts will work absolutely fine.

Alongside client can also use other page builder tools like Visual Composer to create blog posts. So you have the option to create one blog post with Pro Content builder and another with Visual Composer. Both the plugins work fine along side, but please note that both are not backward compatible. Means post edited using VC can’t be edited in Content builder or Cornerstone and vice versa.

Thanks.

Thank you for the peace of mind

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.