Freezing customize page and how to setup a "normal" blogroll?

Hi,

I’ve been using the X theme for a while now and have had good success updating our website www.bandbyachtdesigns.com. I am not a developer but have found the old forum to be adequate for troubleshooting and was able to get most of my issues resolved be many hours of reading.

I am pretty sure that I am running the X-Child Theme and have quite a few lines of custom CSS code copied into the customizer. Since all the updates, somehow aspects of my dashboard are not working. When i click on “Apperance” and “customize” the page loads ok but then it totally locks up…frozen… can’t click on anything. Then i get a ran out of memory error while trying to load the page. Hopefully you can help resolve THAT issue.

Perhaps once we solve that…

What I would like to get working… posts.
They’ve never worked the way I thought/hoped they would. I envision posts to be short snippets, announcements, blog posts! and they appear as a “blogroll” on the homepage. Well, I’ve never gotten that to work. I try to use the “recent posts” widget and all i get is a column of blank images. I’ve tried to muddle through the topics related to showing post content but i just can’t get though it and i can’t (at the moment) access the customizer.

My homepage workaround has been, when I want to add a “post” to our homepage, I create a new section and compose my post and manually emulate a “blogroll”. I would very much like to enter these as posts and have them POST to the homepage as complete content with no “read more” button and just show up the way they are written not with a catchy image and a one liner but as the complete content. I would have thought that that would be the default setup for posts.

See the sailing anarchy webpage www.sailinganarchy.com that is how I would like our posts to show up.

Thank you for your help.
-Alan

Hi there,

Let’s First Fix the memory limit issue before tackling the other problems. Please can you read the article below on how to change the PHP memory limit in WordPress:

https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-customizer/196 (Not Working or Showing a White Screen section.)

You may need to contact your hosting service provider and ask them to do the same from their end into the php.ini file.

In the new version of the theme the options are better to be changed from X > Launch > Options section.

Kindly get back to us with the results to follow up to the next part of the question.

Thank you.

Christopher,

Okay, thanks for your help so far. I’ve made some progress. I can now access the customizer and also i can get into X>launch>options ok. The customizer still seems slow and i found it would only load with all other tabs closed and then only some of the time.

Hi there @alanosauras,

Thanks for writing back. Glad to hear you can now access the customizer and Launch Options.
When you say other tabs open, how many tabs are we talking about, do they have videos playing or similar?

I’m possibly wondering if the slowness is system related, rather than site related. I loaded your site as a visitor and it was extremely quick. I’d expect the front-end to be slow if the back-end is nearly at a standstill. It’s possible the extra tabs are increasing the memory usage of the browser resulting in high overall CPU usage causing a slow-down.

Is the performance the same on other computers?

Thanks!

I just tried loading the customizer again and it seems to be working fine. I also updated my browser so perhaps that helped. It did take about 15 seconds to load but then everything was functional. I attribute that more to the fact that I’m running off a hotspot from my phone. I had about 8 other tabs open all running static pages. Usually i have 4 business related tabs open at a time. Seems fine now though.

So, any help you can provide on posts? I’ve tried composing posts before and then using the recent posts widget and could not get anything satisfactory.

I’ve got a “test homepage” here http://bandbyachtdesigns.com/testhome/ where i have replaced my content with the recent posts widget. I tried copy pasting some of the homepage content into separate posts to see how it shows up. I get a featured image and a title. What I’d like is for it to look the same or close to the same as my current homepage but have each “article” which are separated by differing background color as a post. That way they can be archived and moved off the homepage after a while. But id like to them to display as the full content of the post.

Is this doable?

HI there,

That’s only possible with customization, embedding your blogroll in a section. I suggest hiring/contacting a developer for this implementation.

Recent posts element/shortcode is only limited to that display/appearance. it’s still far from the web page you wish to copy.

Thanks!