Footer disappears when editing another language

Hi, I’m having trouble translating a pro footer using WPML. First when I edited the english footer, the content disappeared when I saved it. I just changed an image in the footer. I then saved the swedish version as a template, just for backup, and edited that one. Same thing happened. The content just disappeared. I then updated to the latest Pro version 3.1.2 but the content is still missing. I then re-created the content using the template and that works for swedish language but when I try to translate that footer to english one, copying the swedish content, the footer just shows up empty in the editor. Thats where I am right now. I tried to delete all the footers and started over with the swedish one from the template, and translated it to english. But the same thing happens, it show up empty in the editor. Can you please help me with this one since it happend to another customer as well.

Hello @Frosting,

Thanks for writing in! Please go to WPML > Translation Management and make sure that the header and footer were enabled so that it can be translated and the translation flags will display when you are editing in the header or footer builder.

If this isn’t helping, provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Regards.

The thing is that the translation has worked before flawlessly. I’m not sure if something happened during an update since the customer is maintaining the website themselves. I’d be happy if you can take a look at it, I’ve sent you login information in a secure note.

Hello Frosting,

Thanks for updating in! I have logged in and edited your footer. I was able to saved my changes without a hitch. I left my changes but not visible in the front end so that you will see it. You may delete the bar afterwards.

I also noticed that there is no Swedish translation yet. Please finish your English translation first and then copy the existing footer, using this footer for your Swedish translation.

Hope this helps.

Hi, maybe I didn’t explain myself very well. The standard language of the page is swedish and I’m trying to add english. I have deleted all footers and re-created the swedish footer from a template that I saved before making any changes. I now want to translate the swedish footer to english. If I click translate and choose copy existing footer, it turns up empty in the editor. Could you please try to make a new translation to english from the swedish footer and copy the existing swedish footer?

Hi @Frosting,

I see what you mean, I went to the website and tested the case and indeed it shows blank when you try to click on Copy Existing option.

This might be caused by several factors but the two from the top of my head are:

• Please kindly update the WPML plugin to version 4.2.5 which is the official version of the plugin supported according to our Version Compatibility:
    https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195
  • Please make sure that you increase the PHP memeory limit to 512M following this method. I suspect that this might be the problem cause following the instructions of WPML by going to WordPress Dashboard > WPML > Support and checking the minimum requirements.

I’d appreciate that you follow up on the points I mentioned to make sure that the problem is not caused by that. If the problem persists kindly get back to us so that we can delve more into details and try to find the culprit.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Hi @christopher.amirian, I’ve now updated WPML to 4.2.5 and increased the PHP memory limit to 512M. The problem remains the same… the footer turns up blank when you copy existing footer. Please have a look at it again.

Hey @Frosting,

I first like to clarify that there are 2 issues described here.

Issue 1

This is an old known issue when you have HTML links in the Text elements and those links contain the target="_blank" attribute and value combination. The only solution to this up until now is to add rel="noopener" or rel="noreferrer" attribute and value combination. Watch the video in the secure note to see this in action along with my footer translation testing.

Issue 2

You can’t translate a footer by copying the existing footer because it looks like this:

The weird solution is, close the Footer Builder browser tab and press CTRL + SHIFT + T to open it back up again. Doing that makes the Copy Existing function work.

The Copy Existing function works without problems or WPML in general works without problems in my test site though so I believe there’s something in your WordPress setup and/or server setup that is causing the issue.

I suspect there’s some kind of server caching in the backend. Please check with your web host if they have internal caching systems and if they do, tell your web host to clear all caches and deactivate them.

Hope that helps.

Hi, thank you for your help, it seems to be working now.

You’re welcome!
We’re glad we were able to help you out.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.