Fontawesome 404 error slowing site load times

I was running a speed test on my site using gtmetrix. We have some fontawesome fonts which are turning up 404 errors. When I look at the waterfall after running a report on meditateinolympia.org I get the following font location

https://meditateinolympia.org/wp-keajra/themes/x/framework/fonts/font_awesome/fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.7.0

I am not sure how to address this error. But, since it slows the site load time at three different points in the waterfall, I am hoping you can offer some help so I can improve our site.

Thanks team,
look forward to what you have in the wings
Wangpo

Hello There,

Thanks for writing in! The most common cause of receiving a 404 for Font Awesome is on a Microsoft IIS web server, IIS doesn’t enable the .woff or .woff2 mime type by default, so we’ll need to add some additional rules to the web.config for this.

Open up your web.config file (this is for IIS 7 or later) and add the following:

<remove fileExtension=".woff"/>
<mimeMap fileExtension=".woff" mimeType="application/x-font-woff" />
<remove fileExtension=".woff2"/>
<mimeMap fileExtension=".woff2" mimeType="application/x-font-woff" />

If you’re not comfortable doing this, please contact your hosting support to assist you on this matter.

For more information about how to troubleshoot Font Awesome, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-font-awesome/200

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hi There,

Sorry about that, topics will be automatically closed if no user replied in it within 10days, (I have re-opened it for you).

Ok lets back to the problem.

fontawesome-webfont.ttf?v=4.7.0

That seems to be the issue, because on the latest version of our themes, the fontAwesome files are renamed to this, and it’s not version 4.7.0, its version 5.0. So it seems the site is still trying to access the old files which do not exist anymore.

I notice that meditateinolympia.org is under CloudFlare, please login to your CloudFlare account and Purge All Cache

How do I purge my cache?

If you have a caching plugin, please clear those as well, and your browser’s cache too.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!