Failed Payments in Woocommerce

Hi There

I am frequently getting failed payments in my client’s shop for seemingly no reason. I have checked everything and apart from updates nothing has changed. The failed payments have been over the last few weeks.

I attach a secure note showing the error log which has several references to deprecated code in the checkout and in the way the order is completed.

I would be really grateful if you could take a look at this to see if anything is attributed to the way woocommerce integrates with X Theme so that I can rule that out.

If you can see no problem from your side of things any advice on what I could check next would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Kind regards

Hi There,

Upon checking, I see that you’re not uptodate with regard to X theme and Cornerstone. Also make sure that you’re using the X compatible version of WooCommerce. You can check all the version numbers from the following link (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195).

Also I see that there are errors throwing from your child theme. It should be related to a customization that you have added to the child theme as well. You can switch back to your parent X theme and test this issue further.

Thanks!

Hi There

I have updated x and cornerstone although they were only 1 version out and I have rolled back the woocommerce to version 3.1.1 which is the last one that x is compatible with.

I must say that Woocommerce 3.1.1 is now 11 versions behind the latest which really is quite unacceptable! All recent updates have had a lot of fixes in. When is your version going to catch up ??

I have customers who have high volume sales and it is important that the shopping system is current.

I will see how this goes in respect of the checkout working.

Kind regards

Eileen

Hi there,

We understand the case and we do our best to be up to date as fast as possible. There are few checking processes here and there to make sure the new versions will not interfere with the functionality of the theme and other plugins which are interconnected.

The latest compatible version is 3.1.1 and we do our best to make it work for 3.2.5 as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, I would clone my website to a staging server and change the theme from X to a default one and check the payment process. That way you will see if it is something related to the Woocommerce itself or the integration with X is the problem. If you encounter problems while not using X then it is not related to the integration with the theme.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Hi there

I am still getting invalid payments and Paypal is insisting that users create a paypal account even though pay by credit card is selected. I have tried this twice myself and get the same thing.

The woocommerce is on the correct version, x and cornerstone correct versions, all files in child theme correct version.

Still got the problems with the payments failing !

Please could you assist urgently.

Thanks.

Addendum

I have just retried paypal and this time it gave me the correct screen to pay only via credit card. The times when it failed it appeared to give me a different screen which I guess is the one for opening account. It there seems to have a problem selecting the correct php file to show !

Hello @Jimmmmmer,

Thanks for writing in and sorry to hear that you seem to be experiencing some issues. For a little more context on this situation, while our troubleshooting article references that v3.1.1 of WooCommerce is our “latest supported version” because that was the version that was out when our last major release came out around that time, it should be noted that our WooCommerce integration is highly superficial, meaning that we mostly integrate with it on a styling level and leave templating changes to a minimum. When X initially launched, we had a much more involved WooCommerce integration, but with the level of integration people want along with 3rd party plugins that often inject themselves into the mix, we have since moved to make things much more streamlined in this regard.

If you go to the WordPress admin at WooCommerce → Status → Templates (section at the bottom of the page) you will see that we have a very minimal number of templates we overwrite in the theme, and most of these updates are very minor. Also, any templates that are “out of date” will show up here, and you will see with WooCommerce v3.2.5 that none of them are, and none of the templates overwritten are in relationship to the checkout process.

It is more likely the case that something is going on with the overall setup of WooCommerce with your particular hosting environment, or perhaps with updating to the latest versions of WooCommerce, some of the database updates that they do regularly on update did not go quite right. This may be something that you wish to contact the WooCommerce team about, as they would have more information on that portion of the plugin (again, our integration is far from functional or having to do with overwriting large portions of functionality, it’s more akin to a coat of paint on a house than anything structural done).

The first thing I would do is check out that WooCommerce status page mentioned above, and see if there’s anything else going on there that indicates an issue with your environment. That might give you some clues of things to troubleshoot with your host that could be causing an issue, or are potentially not quite right with the overall setup of WooCommerce in your WordPress installation. If you still feel that there is something theme related after reviewing that information or if you are unable to get assistance from the WooCommerce team, you can let us know from there, but we would need your login information (in a secure note) to check things out first hand.

Hi Thanks.

I checked the status and everything seems ok all green ticks anyway.

I think that it may be the database but the woocommerce team do not take support calls so they are actually a bit useless.

I have tried today but the only access I can get is to the documentation. They do not deal direct with anyone unless you have other products and then only with those products.

I would really appreciate it if you could take a look behind the scenes as this is now a really major problem.

Thank you so much.

Kind regards

Hi Eileen,

When I tried to use Paypal, I am redirected here:

Then I choose Pay with a Bank Account or Credit Card and I see this screen: https://screencast-o-matic.com/watch/cblh3F2kTV

Regarding this: I am still getting invalid payments and Paypal is insisting that users create a paypal account even though pay by credit card is selected. I have tried this twice myself and get the same thing.

Now, I am not going to proceed of course because your site is live. By that statement, are you referring to Pay with a Bank Account or Credit Card option from that screen? If yes, then yes paypal account is needed because that option is tied with Paypal. It will check the details you have added on the details you have on your paypal account. I have the same experience before where I am trying to pay for a merchant choosing that option. I can confirm it will not go through. It only works right after I have enrolled and validated my credit card on my paypal account. If this is something I misunderstood, please clarify. Thank you

Yes that is the screen that comes up sometimes when you select pay with credit card.

The main problem is actually that both the payment gateways intermittently fail with You cannot pay at this time.

here is my original problem

I am frequently getting failed payments in my client’s shop for seemingly no reason. I have checked everything and apart from updates nothing has changed. The failed payments have been over the last few weeks.

please take a look in the orders section of woocommerce at the number of failed payments - it is very alarming and my client is loosing lots of money.

there must be some reason for this and the only thing I can think of is that these gateways are not being processed correctly. I did send some error logs at the beginning of this support thread.

Kind regards

Hi there,

I also tried to check the case. Naturally, I also went to the level that my colleague went and the Paypal screen came up. Unfortunately, we are not the correct people to be able to help you regarding this as our knowledge about the payment gateways and the process is limited regarding the Woocommerce plugin.

As my colleague mentioned we do not have any part of that process, you can simply check that by changing our theme to a default theme and test the case.

Maybe you can try the Woocommerce support page on the WordPress plugins site:
https://wordpress.org/support/plugin/woocommerce

I am sure you will understand that this is the best we can offer as we are not the correct people to get into this matter.

Thank you for your understanding.

Ok thanks for your help anyway.

Just wondered if the attached secure text from the error log might help as it looks as though things are n ot integrating properly.

Also just out of interest - if I have a copy of the functions.php in the child theme does that work as well as the functions.php file in x OR instead of.

Thanks.

Kind regards

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I could not make much of the error cause. I did a Google Search regarding this that might be helpful for your investigation.

Thank you.

Hi Christopher

Thank you for your help. I am making progress.

Kind regards

Eileen

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.