Excerpt not showing anymore on Pro (Ethos stack)

Hi I’m using Pro for a very simple project www.myitalyholidays.com and I was adding the social media shares like I did for another website (no issues in there, same theme and very similar layout)

At some point the excerpt on the blog disappeared. I checked the customization and it is indeed set to give a 20 words excerpt, and it was working fine in the beginning.

Here is the issue:

As you can see … nothing is showing. Any reason for that? I disabled the few plugin I added but they were not the cause. Very weird.

Also, is there a way to give some contrast to the footer links? I want them to be pretty visible and like this they are almost impossible to read.

I also wanted to try different colors for the footer but it follows the color I gave for the menu bar. No idea how to change that. I want to keep the code to a bare minimum so no fancy stuff, but this is not nice because you can’t read anything.

Thanks!

Hello Clelia Mattana,

Thanks for the very detailed post information. By default, the post excerpts are dynamically generated out of the first few numbers of words from your post contents. You have set to display 20 words and it should have displayed. Do you have any custom code or plugins that may be creating a conflict? To better assist you with your issue, kindly provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out:

Meanwhile, you can change the background color of the footer by adding this custom css code in Pro > Theme Options > Custom CSS:

.x-colophon.top {
    background-color: #000;
}

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Thanks, the footer is now ok! I just wanted to make the font color white to stand out a bit more if possible. Or at least know what I have to do to change the color (also for the last part of the footer)

For the missing excerpt, I’ll give you my credentials.
It’s very weird! Thanks!

Hey Clelia Mattana,

Thanks for updating in! I have investigate your issue by editing each and every post you have. It turns out that is is mysteriously empty or blank characters in your Manual Excerpts.

So I edited two of your posts and added a manual excerpts. The last post, I removed those empty or blank characters. The excerpts are now displaying.

Please check your site now.

Thanks

So… should I always put the manual excerpt? Before it wasn’t like that. So weird.

What about changing the color of the links or whatever I write on the footer? Right now it’s impossible to read.

And one more thing (again, it happened without me touching anything)
The main menu has a dropdown function and for some reason, from showing the submenu on the right (or centered) it shows it on the left… How can I change it back to normal? (centered or right)?

Thanks!

Hi Clelia,

If you enable the Content Builder for the blog posts from the permissions settings, it is not possible to use the content of the blog post to use as excerpt as the code is encrypted for the content builder itself. That is why you will not be able to use the traditional method and you need to use the Excerpt box.

The footer styling is derived from the stack default styling. The Ethos has that default pale color for the footer. You can override the behavior by adding the CSS code below to Pro > Theme Options > CSS:

footer .widget ul li a,
footer .widget ol li a,
footer .widget a,
.x-colophon.bottom .x-colophon-content p,
body .x-colophon.bottom .x-nav li a,
body .x-colophon.bottom .x-nav li a:hover {
    color: #ffffff;
}

Feel free to change the color of the footer text to whatever color you like :slight_smile:.

The last point that you have mentioned is the default behavior of the theme when you use the Etos stack and use the default header and not the header builder of the Pro theme. You can change the behavior by adding the CSS code below to Pro > Theme Options > CSS:

.masthead-inline .x-navbar .desktop .sub-menu .sub-menu {
    right: -100%;
}

Kindly open up new threads for additional questions as it will help us to focus on each issue and give you better support which you deserve. Having a long thread makes the maintaining job harder and also it will be harder for the other customers to find the correct information if they have similar issues. You are always welcomed to reply to this thread to follow up the same question.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.