Essential grid youtube plays video both embedded and lightbox

As I was typing the title to this thread another thread came up as a suggestion. Another user was having the same problem and then said they’d fixed it without giving any explanation as to how, which is rather frustrating! This is obviously an issue a few of us are having.

When I use the Essential Grid youtube template and click on one of the videos within the grid, the video plays in both the embedded box AND in lightbox. Obviously I only want it to play in Lightbox.

I have tried playing with various settings but I can’t seem to stop it playing within the embedded box.

What’s particularly frustrating is that I can’t add a featured or alternative image to the clips because they are not posts as they are pulled from the youtube channel. Neither can you select the youtube thumbnail as an alternative to the source media in Lightbox. I’d really like to be able to create my own images for each clip, which I’m guessing is one way around this issue.

Any pointers?

Hi there,

I am afraid you will not be able to do that unless you add posts for that purpose.

So you will add the post items and add your desired featured images there, and then assign your Youtube IDs to the Essential Grids option of the post. If you do not see that section you will need to click on the Screen Options tab at the top right section of the post edit screen and enable the Essential Grid Options.

Then you can drag the youtube source up over the featured image in the lightbox settings of the Essential Grid that you are making.

The video below shows exactly how to do it:

Thank you.

Hi Christopher,

You’ve missed the main issue - the embedded video is playing when I click on the link, which brings up Lightbox and also plays the video. If you look at the Essential Grid YouTube stream example on their site this doesn’t happen. How do I avoid this happening? I can’t believe making a post for each video is the solution since that defeats the whole object of having a youtube-specific grid. If you go this route it means you have to manually create a new entry every time the playlist gets updated, which is counter-intuitive. No, the youtube stream grid should only play in the Lightbox, surely?

mmmm…

I see you are using a Youtube channel for this. I checked the Youtube stream page of the Essential Grid and indeed it does not play the video itself in the grid items and it only plays the video inside the lightbox:

I suggest that you try to add the Gris one more time using this tutorial:

It is a 12 min tutorial video and maybe a little bit boring to watch, but I insist that you check that in its entirety. Thank you.

If it has the problem again kindly get back to us with the URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Also, give us the URL of the page that has the problem of playing the video while in the grid to follow up.

Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.