Error updating Visual Composer

Hello. I just tried to update Visual Composer to version 5.2, using the automatic update link, but encountered an error: “Update package not available.” See the attached screenshot. How can I resolve this?

Thanks.

Hey there,

Please uninstall Visual Composer then install it again via X > Overview.

Thanks.

Thank you for the suggestion. But that really is not desirable. I’ll do it if I have to. But what happened to automatic updates?

Automatic updates work fine in our sites. There must be an issue on your setup. Please also check if everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

Thanks.

Thanks for your reply, and I appreciate your assistance so far. But I want to be clear that my goal is not to update Visual Composer–my goal is to troubleshoot and resolve the issue of the broken automatic updates.

There must be an issue on your setup.

I would like very much to troubleshoot and resolve any such issues. How can I do so?

Please also check if everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

I have checked this. All of my plugins and bundled extensions are up to date.

If you need admin access to my site, I can grant it.

Thanks.

Hi,

Can you try revalidating your theme.

1] Go to X > Overview and revoke the validation (https://s3.amazonaws.com/community-themeco/app/uploads/2016/04/17110514/Capture53.jpg8).
2] Login to your account2 and revoke the license. (You may need to edit the urls assign to the license)
3] After you have revoke the license, you need to re assign the license again to your site using this url: 2https://www.example.com/2. You have to make sure that url you just assign is the same as the one you have in your settings, Settings > General > Site Address
4] Go back to X > Overview again, and insert your license code.
5] Try to update your plugin again.

Thanks

Thank you very much for your help so far. I followed your instructions without issue, and tried to update Visual Composer, yet encountered the same error (see attached screenshot).

I should note that the site in-question is my staging site. So in step 2 of your instructions, I logged in to my account and merely removed my staging site’s URL, then re-added it. I have not checked whether this issue is present on my live site. I would rather not test something like that on my live site.

If you would like login credentials, I am happy to provide them.

Thanks.

I’m having the same issues as the OP - I just upgraded to the latest version of X - 5.1.1, and now none of my home page content (built with Visual Composer, and using the Integrity01 sample code) is displaying.

I’ve deleted Visual Composer, and then re-installed via X > Overview as suggested above, but I still have Version 5.1.1.

When I disable VC, the page content appears, but only as a series of shortcodes, text and images, with no styling. I’ve deactivated all other plugins, and none of these have helped.

How can I upgrade properly to VC Version 5.1.1 to fix this?

Hi There,

As stated in our Version Compatibility https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

Our last support version is : Visual Composer: | Latest Supported Version: 5.0.1 | KB Article11

If you are seeing a msg to update please ignore it as it is not possible as the newer version hasn’t been 100% tested with X yet and are not available.

Thank you

Ok, can you tell me what the process is to get actual support for this problem then, as my site is now broken and since the upgrade, and I’d appreciate urgent help with this. Thanks.

If you are seeing a msg to update please ignore it as it is not possible as the newer version hasn’t been 100% tested with X yet and are not available.

OK thank for that. But I’m a bit confused as to why the theme is giving me the option to upgrade, while at the same time theme support is telling me not to upgrade.

More importantly, how do I know when it is OK to update Visual Composer? Do I need to check the Troubleshooting - Version Compatibility page every day?

Also, my current version of VC is 5.1.1. So that means a few weeks ago the theme allowed me to automatically update the theme from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1, even though 5.1.1 wasn’t tested with the theme. Isn’t the the theme supposed to prevent such automatic updates if the plugin version hasn’t been tested with the theme?

Thanks.

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in! For every bundled plugin like Visual Composer, every time you update it, you are connecting to the Themeco plugin repository. You are not connecting to WPBakery’s plugin server. Since the plugins were bundled, Themeco server is the one who will provide the updates. This is the reason why it says package not available because the latest update package is not available in our servers. Please keep in mind that we keep track of the latest stable and supported version in X. You can find the list from here: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

Hope this explains it briefly.

Thanks for the reply. But by your explanation, I should not have been able to carry out an automatic update to v5.1.1, yet I did. Do you know why that occurred?

Also, to give some constructive feedback, it’s a bit confusing to have the the WP back-end suggest an update that you at Themeco knows will fail (see attached screenshot). It is a bit confusing, and the reason I am using your time and mine to obtain clarification. A less confusing system might be for updates to be disabled for this particular plugin until it is ready to download/install from the Themeco servers.

Thanks.

Hi There,

Please provide your login credentials in a secure note so we can take a closer look.

Thank you

OK I have sent my credentials. Just to reiterate, my goal here is not to update Visual Composer. I understand that it is not ready to be updated yet. I am just confused why the back-end allows me to update it, yet the theme developers tell me to do otherwise. Furthermore, how will I know when Visual Composer is ready to be updated?

Thanks.

Hi There,

Sorry for the confusion. As we don’t modify 3rd party bundled plugins, you will see notifications to update them when the original plugin developers are releasing new versions. However we do not release those updates to our repository until we run a compatibility test with X. You can refer to our version compatibility guide as mentioned above (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195), before updating.

Thanks!

OK then. So you are saying I have to check the Version Compatibility page every day to see if it is OK to update Visual Composer?

Hi there,

Yes, you’ll have to check it :slight_smile:. Updated notification could be from us or from them since it’s their plugin.

Thanks!

OK. That’s a bit inconvenient.

We can consider this resolved.