Error Message When Trying to Install Slider Revolution

Hi, Happy Hew Year! I contacted yourselves at the end of last year with issues trying to install Slider Revolution on a new website I’m doing. I’m still having issues with it I’m afraid. To begin with it kept saying ‘Destination folder already exists’ but when I clicked on ‘Plugins’ it isn’t in there and so you told me to login through FTP and delete the revslider files. I’ve just done this and then tried to install it again, but I’ve got another error message saying:
504 Gateway Time-out
nginx

I’ve attached a screen grab for your reference.

I’ve never had this problem before and have no idea what to do, so I’ll be grateful of any help!

Thanks!

Hi,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

• Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

Hiya! Yep, no problem!

I tried to install Slider Revolution again but this time, the error is different.

That means when you first installed, it got uploaded but did not complete because of your server timing out. Please login to your server via FTP then delete the revslider folder. After that, try installing it again via X > Overview.

Thanks.

Hi, that’s what keeps happening each time by the looks of it, as I initially contacted yourselves at the end of last year (I’ve had to create a new post, as it’s been 11 days since I last replied due to Christmas holiday!) as I kept getting the error ‘Destination folder already exists’ and you said to login to the FTP and delete RevSlider files which I did this morning and then tried to install it again and got the error message 504 Gateway Time-out, so I contacted yourselves. I’ve just removed the files again and tried to install it and got the same error 504 Gateway Time-out. I have no idea what it’s doing!

Thanks!

The gateway timeout is a hosting issue. Are you on Themeco hosting? If so, I’ll forward this to our hosting support.

Thanks.

Hi, no I’m not with Themeco hosting. I’ll contact our hosting provider for this and hopefully that’ll sort it.

Thanks for your help!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Let us know how it goes.

Hi, I’ve just been in touch with the hosting provider - it’s not our usual one, it’s the one our client was with, which is why we’ve never had this problem before!

They’ve said the following:

The usual cause of this are plugin or theme that is taking too long to execute its scripts. Maximum execution time on our shared server is 60 seconds. If your website script will take more than 60 seconds to run or execute, that is when the website will time out and will generate the error.

You will have to make sure that the script of the plugin is optimised so it will not take more than 60 seconds to run.

I’ve never had to optimise the script of a plugin before and don’t know if what I’ve been told is correct and haven’t got a clue how I go about it! The images I’ve uploaded already are compressed by using tinypng.com and weren’t too big to begin with anyway!

Hope you can make sense of it!

Hey @core365,

The issue could be your host’s connection to our server. The timeout needs to be extended. If not, you’ll need to install Slider Revolution manually. In that case, you need to download all files in Themeforest then extract the installable revslider.zip from x_package\extensions.

Thanks.

Hi, the hosting tell me that the timeout can’t be extended. I’ve just downloaded the files from Themeforest and tried to install it by uploading it separately, but I still get the same error message ‘504 Gateway Time-Out’.

Any other ideas?!!

Thanks!

Hi There,

Could you please try manually installing the plugin?

Let us know how it goes!

Hi, I’ve uploaded it manually through the FTP and it then appeared in the Plugins area in WordPress. I activated it and then clicked to update the plugin and then got an error message saying the website was down for maintenance. I had to contact the hosting provider again and they said that:

Please be informed that our shared hosting only supports the following:
memory limit - 64MB
max_execution_time - 60 secs
upload_max_filesize - 20MB
max_post_size - 20MB

Does this mean I can’t use the plugin with our clients hosting?

Thanks!

HI There,

Slider Revolution usually requires more memory to run it smoothly as you can see here (https://www.themepunch.com/revslider-doc/requirements-and-recommendations/).

Can you please try adding the following code into your wp-config.php file which is at the root of your WordPress installation and see if that helps.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the following line:
/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

Thanks!

Hi, I tried adding the code but unfortunately that didn’t work either. Is it just a matter of I’m not able to use Rev Slider plugin because of the hosting?

Cheers

Your host does not meet Slider Revolution’s requirements. We’re sorry but you will need to move to a better host.

Thank you for understanding.

Hi, I thought that would be the case - that’s what happens when your client thinks they’re getting a better deal than what you can offer them!

Many thanks for all your help and time with this.

Cheers!

You’re welcome.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.