Error 3378 Now Occurring

After the most recent CS and X updates, two plugins are now throwing this error:

Warning: A non-numeric value encountered in /home/paals872/public_html/wp-includes/formatting.php on line 3378

The two plugins are The Grid and Yoast SEO. Both of these have been installed on the system for quite a while with no previous issues. Both of them are very important to the site, so I would like to get them up and running again.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello @cbordages,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

You are seeing these warnings because debug mode is enabled in your site. You will have to deactivate it. You can do this by opening wp-config.php and adding:

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */
You should no longer be seeing those warnings afterwards.

More information can be found in following post:

https://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-turn-off-php-errors-in-wordpress/

Thanks.

I checked the wp-config.php file on the site. The define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false); code was already there.

Wish that had worked as it seemed so simple.

Other suggestions?

Hi @cbordages,

Please follow the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  3. Make sure that you use PHP version 5.6+ or 7.1+ (You can ask for help from your hosting service provider)

kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case if you still have problems.

Also with the information of the FTP:

FTP Server Address
FTP Port Number
FTP Username
FTP Password

Thank you.

The issue arises with two separate plugins - each independently - The Grid (X Addon) and Yoast SEO Premium. The error only occurs with The Grid on pages where a grid is placed (for example, the home page). The Yoast plugin seems to cause it on all pages (although I haven’t examined every page. The website is using PHP 7.1, x 6.2.5, Cornerstone 3.2.5 and WordPress 4.9.7. The Grid is 2.6.60 and Yoast is 7.9. Credentials in secure area.

Hi,

The logins provided doesn’t seem to work.

Please check again and let us know.

Thanks

Let’s try again.

Hi There @cbordages

I have enabled your “The Grid” plugin, but I could not see this error.

Your error is actually related to the PHP version that you’re using, which you can read more from here (https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/php-7-1-error-in-header-x-theme/3411/2?u=mldarshana). In case if you see this error again, you can try switching to a different PHP version.

Or else you can disable WP_Debug mode by editing your wp-config.php file. You can refer to the detailed guide here (https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG).

define('WP_DEBUG', false);

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

The error was actually being caused by Yoast Premium. The latest update of The Grid eliminated the error from that plugin.

For those following the thread, here’s some potentially useful info.

We use SiteGround hosting. Setting WP_DEBUG to false does NOT prevent the display of the error message on our website. From what I have read WB_DEBUG false works for some hosting providers and not for others. It does not work for SiteGround.

However, a link inside the first linked article above DOES work. It provides code to put in you wpconfig file to replace WP_DEBUG. I’m not sure what the long term consequences of this code may be, but I can tell you it suppresses this error on SiteGround when WP_DEBUG false would not. Here is the direct link: h

https://aristath.github.io/blog/wp-hide-php-errors

Hope this info is useful to others.

Hi @cbordages

It’s fine if you want to go with this approach, however, I wouldlike to add one extra line in wp-config.php which is:

define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);

this line will log any error in a separate file in (/wp-content/) directory, that’s useful as you don’t want to hide the errors and not logging them somewhere.

Thanks.

Thanks. I’ve added that line.

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.