Elements 404 Error - Permalink issue? How to fix

Hello.

When I click on Elements, a 404 error comes up. I went to the wordpress permalinks setting and changed it so there was no /index.php/ in it, however, when I do that, cornerstone doesn’t come up at all. Can anyone help shed any light on what could possibly be the problem?

Hello Flavia,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Under Settings -> Permalink save the permalinks settings again. If that doesn’t help please send us your login details in a secure note so that we can have a look.

Thanks

The site isn’t accessible from the outside our company so you won’t be able to access it even with a login… We have an IT team, could you please give us the troubleshooting instructions for this problem?

@Prasant do you think you can still help?

Hello Flavia,

Thanks for updating the thread.

It’s a bit difficult for us to share solutions without taking a look at the website. However, please try out following solutions and see how it goes.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  4. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.

Thanks.

@Prasant

Thank you! I have send this info to our IT department and I’ll let you know what happens.

Sure, let us know how it goes. :slight_smile:

We are on PHP 7.2 (we were on 5.3.9) but I just upgraded it

That didn’t make a difference

there is no .htaccess file

but I went to permalinks and hit save

no change.

I disabled all the other plugins

Still no luck.

Ok! So I just sent you the login. Please take a look for me and see if you can help me. Thank you!

Hello Flavia,

I have successfully logged in and check your site. This issue is because of your Microsoft-IIS server. It somehow adds index.php in the permalinks. To totally eliminate the index.php, please check out this links:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Permalinks

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you! We’ll trouble shoot it and let you know where we landed.

Sure, let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

@Prasant @mldarshana Hello. We tried the rewrite rule, no change.

with the rewrite rule in there if I change the permalinks structure from the default to the example that’s in that link
nothing works

Hi Flavia,

I recommend contacting your hosting provider, the 404 that is being displayed is your hosting’s 404 page instead of Wordpress. Which means the requests are not passing through for Wordpress processing, host only decides that it doesn’t exist.

And with that, there is no proper URL rewrite because the settings keep on adding index.php, and Wordpress automatically add it. The purpose of the rewrite is a catch-all-and-pass-to function so all requests are sent to Wordpress and so it will able to decide if it’s really a 404 or there if there is a function associated to it.

But, cornerstone works without URL rewrite, try editing a page and the builder will work but instead, the URL format will be like http://www.*******************.com/wordpress/?cs-launch=1&cs_route=content.builder/39

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.