Editing in Cornerstone on staging website leads to 404 page

Dear Themeco team,

Since the last theme update I’m having an issue. I have cloned my website using the ‘WP Staging’ plugin so that I can make changes to the staging website and then push back changes to the live site.

The URL went from:
capereed.com -> capereed.com/staging

When I want to edit a page, it loads the editor fine but if I click on ‘layout’ ‘elements’ or ‘inspector’, I’m redirected to a 404 page on the original live site.

for example, the URL that the ‘layout’ button pointing to is: capereed.com/content/8/layout
when it should be: capereed.com/staging/content/8/layout

So no matter what I click on I end up on a 404 page. I get that if I was working on the original site then this wouldn’t be an issue but what about this scenario where I’m working on a staging site? Why doesn’t Cornerstone keep the URL the same as where it was loaded? I’m not sure what has changed in the last update but it was working fine before.

I also tried adding ‘capereed.com/staging’ the custom path under the theme settings but that didn’t help.

Please advise. It would be very much appreciated.

Hi,

Please try the following.

1. Check Wordpress Address and Site Address under General > Settings and make sure its http://capereed.com/staging

2. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

If these doesn’t help, please provide us your wordpress admin login in Secure Note

Thanks

Hi there Paul,

Thanks for your feedback. I checked the site address and it was correct. WP staging automatically renames the htaccess file to .bak in the staging directory and I also re saved the permalinks but unfortunately the issue remains.

Thanks so much for your support. It is very much appreciated.

Hi Cean,

I checked and it’s due to permalink setting in Admin > Settings > Permalinks. I went ahead and fixed it, please test it again.

Thanks!

Hi Rad,

Yeah, that fixed it, thanks man. The only reason I left it like that was because it was set that way by the WP staging plugin as default.

Explanation from WP Staging site: “When you create a new staging site, WP Staging default option is to disable search engine friendly custom permalinks on the staging site to ensure that staging sites are working properly on all server systems.”

I was under the impression that I had to leave it that way for the staging site to work. Well live and learn.

Thanks again for the great support.

Glad to hear it’s sorted, Cean.

You’re welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.