Displaying a category archive on a page

Hi – I am using X for the first time and am loving it – can see now why it is considered so good. Thank you for such a good product

I am setting the theme up for use by our church, so I am using the Church demo. However I have two questions.

1. is it possible to set up a page so that it loads a post category and displays in three columns?

2. Is there a tutorial on how to set up the opening image on the Church Demo

Thanks

Hello @Aph100,

Thanks for asking and thanks for choosing X Theme. :slight_smile:

1. Yes, absolutely. You can use Cornerstone Recent Post element and use category filter feature. https://screencast.com/t/pKLncelP2HV. You also have the option to use shortcode. You can refer following article for more information on that. Please scroll to section that says Filter By Category http://demo.theme.co/integrity-1/shortcodes/recent-posts/
  2. You don’t need to manually setup Header Slider in Church Demo. Church is a part of Extended demo stack family and upon importing the demo content you get a full blown working website. I request you to please install and activate Revolution Slider plugin from X > Overview > Extensions > Slider Revolution. After that try importing the demo content again. If you would like to customize the look and feel of slider, I suggest you to refer Revolution Slider getting started guide. https://www.themepunch.com/revslider-doc/slider-revolution-documentation/

You can also watch this video, incase you prefer video tutorial.

Thanks.

Hi there, i was searching some help for - categories discription is not displaying - but nothing to find. I am using x theme ethos, want create some categorie pages, but the content of the discription is not showing up on the page. I tried to modify the archive.php or categoy.php but not even this pages i can find …so why it is not possible to create a page as category or blog in x theme ethos ??? I mean , this is a basic tool which shoud work…, what can i do to create a category page with some text or with images…? thanks for help , manfred

Hi There,

It is possible to create a page that displays the specific category, but the layout with 3 columns which you are looking for is not available on Ethos, you could be achieved with other stacks,

Here you can see how it would look.

http://demo.theme.co/ethos-1/category/music/dance/electro/

Alternatively you can create a page and use Recent Posts Shortcode as reccomended Prasant, or what I would prefer would be to use The Grid Plugin to create a grid using as a source the specific portfolio or post category.

After that you can insert the shortcode on a normal wordpress page or on Cornerstone.

The Grid or Essential Grid Plugins will allow you to achieve that and both are bundled with X.

Both plugins offer really awesome layouts and designs so you can create beautiful category pages exactly as you wish.

Here is an example : https://theme-one.com/the-grid/caracas/

Hope it helps!

Hi there, thanks for your answer…

But…, I wann create a category page. I can give the page a name, a title form, a archive title…etc…then comes the description…but this text field is not working. If i write something in…there is nothing coming out when i wann see this page. I looked for the index.php already…but i am not a php profi…so i don t know what to do.
Under the description field is written:
The description is not prominent by default, however some themes may show it.

How can i show up the content in the description…?
thanks, manfred

Hi there,

Please add a Child Theme and copy the wp-index.php file from the parent theme:

wp-content/themes/x/framework/views/ethos/wp-index.php

to the Child Theme:

wp-content/themes/x-child/framework/views/ethos/wp-index.php

You will need to add necessary folders in the Child Theme. Add the code below to the newly copied file:

<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/ETHOS/WP-INDEX.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Index page output for Ethos.
// =============================================================================

$is_filterable_index = is_home() && x_get_option( 'x_ethos_filterable_index_enable' ) == '1';

?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div class="x-container max width main">

<?php x_get_view( 'ethos', '_post', 'slider' ); ?>

<div class="offset cf">
    <div class="<?php x_main_content_class(); ?>" role="main"><?php 
    the_archive_description( '<div class="taxonomy-description">', '</div>' ); 
    ?>

<?php if ( $is_filterable_index ) : ?>
      <?php x_get_view( 'ethos', '_index' ); ?>
    <?php else : ?>
      <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_index' ); ?>
    <?php endif; ?>

</div>

<?php get_sidebar(); ?>

</div>
</div>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

That should do the trick and add the Category Description to the category archive page.

Kindly open up new threads for additional questions as it will help us to focus on each issue and give you a better support which you deserve. Having a long threads makes the maintaining job harder and also it will be harder for the other customers to find the correct information if they have similar issues. You are always welcomed to reply to this thread to follow up the same question.

Thank you.

Hi, thanks…Ok…a new thread…next time…

the description is working now…but there is still this message::

NOTHING TO SHOW RIGHT NOW
It appears whatever you were looking for is no longer here or perhaps wasn’t here to begin with. You might want to try starting over from the homepage to see if you can find what you’re after from there.

thanks…manfred

This seems to be completely another issue.
Please kindly open up a separate thread and give us detailed information there with User/pass using the secure note to your website to follow up.

Do not reply here as the secure note is visible to the original poster of the thread and you are not the original poster for this thread.

Thank you for your understanding.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.