Different Design on Minisite?

Greetings!

I’ve had an excellent experience with the X-Theme for the entire 2 years that I’ve used it! I’m looking to set up a blog that’s connected to my website, but has vastly different design and overall branding. I was wondering if it was possible for me to use a different design for this blog. For example, i’d like www.website.com to have one overall X theme while www.website.com/XYZ has a completely different theme.

Thanks, and I appreciate your help in advance.

Hello,

Please, I am sorry, but I am not sure about your question. Can you explain it with other words and give to us more details?

Sure! My end goal is to host a blog on my site that’s under the same domain, but has a fairly different design. My current theme isn’t designed as a blog, it’s designed as a portfolio website. If I could create a new page and have that operate as a blog, that would be wonderful! But it seems like I might have to do this kind of approach instead…

primary domain:
-www.example.com
-has Wordpress installed
-design is from template X

blog/mini site:
-www.example.com/blog, where /blog isn’t just a new page, it’s a sub-folder on the domain.
-has a separate Wordpress installation
-design is from a different template, template Y

My questions…

1. Do I even need to set it up like this? I know X theme is robust, and I feel like I’m simply doing something wrong as far as using the template goes.

2. If I do have to set it up with two Wordpress installations, can I use my current X license on the second installation as well?

I hope this is somewhat clearer.

Hi There,

1.) No need to setup two wordpress sites. This will result to more work and setup. Unless you prefer it this way.
Each stack on X theme has it’s own design for portfolio and blog page. Now if you don’t want the default blog design available for your current stack, yes, you can customize template using a child theme. Depending on the extent of customization, if it’s not too far on the current design, it might be possible with just using custom CSS and not redoing the entire blog template.

This basic guide will be based on the integrity stack using the integrity light child theme.

See this if you don’t have a child theme yet.

Find the file in wp-index.php or wp-single.php (depending on which you need). They are found in these paths:

/wp-content/themes/x/framework/views/integrity/wp-index.php

/wp-content/themes/x/framework/views/integrity/wp-single.php

Note: If you are not using integrity stack you can find similar files in the other stacks’ folders.

Make a copy of this file and paste it in the exact path but within your child theme.

/wp-content/themes/x-child/framework/views/integrity/wp-index.php

/wp-content/themes/x-child/framework/views/integrity/wp-single.php

Those files are for blog index and the single post template.

If you need to edit sidebars, featured images and post meta etc. you will need the corresponding files found in the same folder and possibly also some found in the global folder.

content.php
content-video.php
content-quote.php
content-portfolio.php
content-image.php
content-link.php
content-gallery.php
content-audio.php
content-page.php

/global/_content.php

2.) For each license, you are entitled to use it to one production site only and one development site.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

This is exactly what I was wondering! Thank you so much for answering my question so clearly.

You’re welcome!
We’re glad we were able to help you out.