Design Cloud Updates?

Hello,
When are you going to add new templates/elements to the design cloud? Your sales page for Pro made it seem like there would be a growing choice of pre-made designs to choose from but Pro has been out for over a year and you still only have the original designs. Also, your sales page stated that initially there were 122 designs to choose from but I only count 37. I saw another post where someone asked the same question and your response was the packs consisted of multiple elements. However, your sales page made it seem like there were 122 separate elements to choose from and that this list would continuously be updated with new designs which is one of the reasons I switched my X theme to Pro. In my opinion, your sales page is misleading about the Design Cloud. So when are you going to add some new designs??

1 Like

Hi Levetta,

Fair point. We actually are in a process of moving out current demo content to V2 elements and then we will be fully busy to add new stuff demo wise.

Kindly stay tuned for upcoming release notes.

Thank you for your understanding.

I have to agree with @babyann65. Iā€™ve been with you guys since 2014 now, and am rooting for your continued success, but it seems like I have to keep justifying why I stay with Themeco instead of moving to a page builder with a far, far more robust template selection, like Elementor and Divi.

Design Cloud has been a huge disappointment so far. I understand you guys do quality work ā€“ I really do, and thatā€™s why Iā€™ve stayed with you for so long. But more budget needs to be spent on building out the dev team or something, because this is getting beyond frustrating.

@kyle, I love the heart and culture at Themeco, but puh-lease help us out here!

While I have you reading this (I hope!), Iā€™d love to request that margin and padding options show up on-screen as you hover over various elements, rather than in the Inspector pane. I think this can help clean up the cluttered-feeling Inspector pane (I donā€™t want to lose functionality! Thank you for the controls!) AND simplify the overall user experience.

Not one to complain without providing praise, I do want to say thereā€™s a REASON Iā€™ve been with you guys since 2014. Iā€™ve had plenty of clients buy plenty of X and Pro licenses (and even had old clients upgrade to Pro), and I always tell them this is the platform for the long haul, and I still believe that, but when I can go launch Elementor for FREE and get dozens and dozens of pre-built templates and blocks to plug right into my site and basically build a five-page site in less than 30 minutes, it begins to rub on me that Pro seems frozen in time, making zero progress on what I would argue is something that most of your users value pretty highly.

I want all the nitty-gritty controls I get with Pro ā€“ I donā€™t want that to stop. But Iā€™d love to see Design Cloud take off in a big way. If the team isnā€™t big enough, is it possible to make it bigger? Iā€™d much rather work off a subscription model with you guys if you need the additional funding to build this out faster.

$49/month to have access to a thriving Design Cloud platform with tons of new V2 elements being added all the time ā€“ that would be worth it.

I know everyone has an opinion, and I think us web designers can be extra-opinionated when it comes to our everyday tools. Perhaps a survey sent out to all Themeco Pro customers, to see what they value most? The thing I love about you guys is youā€™re ALWAYS ensuring the foundation is solid, and you donā€™t mind rebuilding pre-existing tools to ensure youā€™re using the best and latest technology. I appreciate that. I depend on that. Donā€™t change that. Thatā€™s why I think a subscription model might be better for the long-term, so you can build the team to be bigger and start tackling these areas where other page builders are blowing us out of the water.

Alright, rant over. Again, thank you for the culture at Themeco, and the dedication to building a quality product, even when most people out there will never see or value those big and small efforts you put into building a solid, stable product. :slight_smile:

Hi Philip & Levetta,

Iā€™m Matt, and Iā€™m Director of Operations here at Themeco HQ. I wanted to respond to your comments personally, especially in light of your efforts to articulate your feelings fully and in a balanced way.

Firstly, I want you to know that youā€™ve been heard. Kyle, myself, and my colleagues on the leadership team have all read your posts and taken on board your feedback. We value both your and all customer feedback, positive and negative, and we certainly appreciate your continuing custom over the years.

Secondly, in our discussion with many of our professional users we found the majority donā€™t use templates. So while design assets are a priority and weā€™ve added many in the past year (and more are in our pipeline), it hasnā€™t been as big a focus as other features weā€™ve been working on (dynamic content, blog builder, layout builder, more V2 Elements, etc). That said, we are systematically moving demo content over to Design Cloud so that Pro users will have access to Expanded Demos, however we are waiting for a few product features to be completed as it will make the transition easier.

Also, we have been having internal discussions regarding both additional demo/design content, and builder elements, and we recognise that we can and would like to offer more in that regard. Therefore these will have an increased focus for us, but I must stress that this is at an early stage and we do not have anything definitive to announce right now. We of course would love for you both to remain part of our journey, and hopefully the changes weā€™re implementing will deliver on and exceed your expectations.

Philip, I also want to acknowledge your feature request (margin and padding shown on element hover in the live preview). Iā€™ll add this to our internal tracker and weā€™ll discuss it, as we do all feature requests. I cannot make any promises about it as there are a number of variables at play when considering feature requests (user demand and effort required to implement, amongst others), but we will certainly discuss the feasibility of implementing this.

Lastly, I just want to say that our door is always open to further feedback. Philip, I think from your message that you understand our heart on this (Hopefully, Levetta, you also), but we always value you taking the time out to let us know your thoughts. You can always reach us at info@theme.co if you have something of a non-support nature that youā€™d like to discuss.

Thanks again for your continued custom and support.
Matt

Hey @matt! Great to meet you. :smile: I wasnā€™t expecting all of you to read that! Thank you so much.

Thanks for reaching out and providing a thoughtful response. I know X and Pro are your babies, and so appreciate your friendly candor in response to frustrated customers.

I think at the end of the day you are building a product that is marketed to the people itā€™s named after ā€“ pros! Which I totally get, and which is why I, as a pro, love it.

However, my problem creeps in when I have customers who want to know they will be able to manage the site to some degree afterwards. And while they sort of can, they also canā€™t really, as the Inspector pane is quite scary to the average user! Lol.

I donā€™t know what the answer to this is (inline editing has definitely been a step in the right direction!). All I know is it makes it HARD for me to be able to advertise ā€œsimplicity of useā€ to my clients. As amazing as Pro is (I like the UI, personally, as a web designer ā€“ though even I wish more controls were on-screen rather than in the Inspector pane), itā€™s also overwhelming for my clients, which makes this a tough sell in a real sense.

The notion of progressive enhancement comes to mind here. I almost wish we could see a dumbed-down, user-friendly UI at first (this is why I mentioned bringing padding/margin on-screen), and then click into more advanced controls as needed. Even I donā€™t always need the kitchen sink (as WP so affectionately described it in the old page editor), and would greatly appreciate a re-tooling that puts the relevant settings at my fingertips as I hover over different elements on the screen (and then imagine being able to make all the page builder chrome completely disappear by holding down Option or something crazy like that ā€“ if that could give the same result as reloading the page on the front-end, that would be heaven!). Now Iā€™m going overboard.

Again, no easy answer to the problem that Iā€™m battling, as evidenced by the fact nobody else has solved this dilemma, either. Elementor and Divi are overly-simplistic, imo, and Iā€™ll always choose more control over less.

Also, though, you mentioned youā€™ve already surveyed your user base, and are building out tools based on that feedback, so maybe Iā€™m simply in the minority on this anyhow.

One of the most important things to me in the apps I use is its aesthetic. Pro provides the best page builder aesthetic for me. Itā€™s elegant and beautiful to behold, even if all those Inspector panes can be overwhelming sometimes (just go set up a sub-headline and graphic on a V2 headline element and then scroll the Inspector pane! Lol.)

Again, thanks for the response you provided!

As an aside, I realize I just wrote about a completely different thing than Design Cloud, so my apologies.

Regarding Design Cloud, I get it ā€“ youā€™re building the tool, not the final products for the tool.

I donā€™t know, though. I have to imagine even pros appreciate not having to reinvent the wheel, like a beautifully-designed FAQ accordion, for instance (which I know weā€™ve already got a V2 element for that!). If Design Cloud provided several different blocks that simply provided light CSS styling for that V2 accordion element, that seems awesome. Lol. If the CSS styling were further based on our pre-determined color palette, all the better! How cool would that be?

Anyway, sorry ā€“ Iā€™m going to stop dreaming now. Thanks again!

Just a thought, but are you familiar with how to turn ā€˜Advancedā€™ mode off? I was just thinking through your concern with handing off to a client and them being overwhelmed with the controls available to them, and this could be overcome by turning advanced mode off and/or changing the options available using the permissions manager. You can learn more about editing permissions per user role here.

You can also turn off advanced mode from the WordPress dashboard by going to Pro > Settings, and scrolling down to User Preferences and youā€™ll see the option to change advanced mode to ā€˜Always Offā€™ (hit the toggle to reveal the options). Or from within any part of the Pro builders, it can be turned off by clicking the gear icon in the bottom left hand corner and changing the toggle from the modal that displays. Doing this will limit the number of settings that are displayed, thus should alleviate some of the overwhelm.

Hopefully this will make things a bit easier for you and your clients.

Thanks also for your additional comments, will definitely take all these things into consideration!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.