Customizer Not Working Properly

Hello,

I’m attempting to make an extremely simple change on a client’s website, but customizer isn’t working properly.

I just need to change the email address found in the header, but when I try to publish the customizer either:
A. Says it’s published, but does not actually save the changes I made to the mailto address and email name.
B. Give me a JSON parse error and refuses to publish.

Can you please tell me why this is happening?

Also, Visual Composer seems to not be working either. It’s just loading indefinitely when I try to open it.
I believe everything is up to date on the site, so what’s going on!?

Thank you.

Upon further inspection, I’ve discovered X is NOT up to date on the site, but I’m not given the option to update it and haven’t been given that option for quite some time or else I would’ve done it long ago.

Please help me figure out how to get things working again. This is extremely frustrating as the client has asked for some simple changes and expects them to be done immediately.

Hello Zaepian,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

I checked the website URL you have shared and getting Not Acceptable An appropriate representation of the requested resource / could not be found on this server.

Having said that, please note that X Theme now has its own theme options panel and it’s advisable to use the theme options panel. As you are not getting option to auto update then I think you might be using a fairly old version of Theme. In that regards, please do following:

1. First, please copy the website to a dev or staging server and test the update process over there. I am suggesting you is because in case there’s a issue while or after updating the same can be looked at without affecting the live website.
  2. Then, please take a look at our theme and plugin update guide and scroll down to the manually update section as in your case you will have to update manually.

3. To manually update theme, you will need FTP software like Filezilla. Here’s a link that you can take a look to get started.

https://www.tipsandtricks-hq.com/how-to-use-filezilla-with-wordpress-8956

Let us know how it goes.

Thanks.

I don’t know what you’re talking about. The site is live and functioning properly. You must’ve input the wrong URL

Can someone else at Themeco please look at this issue and help me out? I’ve included the login credentials for Wordpress in the secure note above to save time, yet I waited 4 hours and haven’t gotten any real help yet.

Hi Zaepian,

This is a tricky one because your X theme (v4.1.1) and Cornerstone (v1.1.3) is quite outdated, and there are a lot of changes since then. You might need to adjust a lot of things if we try to update your X Theme and Cornerstone to the latest version. This might still work if you can restore the Wordpress to original version when you build the site.

There is one trick but It may or may not work, navigate to X Addons > Customizer Manager > Download XCS File, Open/edit the generated .json file with a text editor, find and replace the brian@sanmarinoclub.com, saved the changes.

After changing the email, Import back the .json file to Customizer Manager. Again this may or may not work but its worth the shot, please keep a backup of your site database before doing this

Hope that helps,

We strongly advise that you copy your site in staging server and then start updating the site in there, this will save you in the future.

Since the automatic update does not work with your version of X, please follow the Manual X Update Via FTP guide we provided here.

Remember to clear your W3 Total Cache after the changes/update.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

When I update the theme manually most things on the site are ok, but for some reason many of my background images and some customizations are lost… Is there some way to update without this happening? I don’t understand why anything would break… I thought X was supporting the old sites as it evolved and updated…

I’m going back and forth between the old version and the updated version of X by changing the file name in the themes folder on FileZilla.

I noticed that in the old x version there’s a vc_templates folder that isn’t in the new updated version files - could that be causing the problem? Do I need to copy some of the old X theme files into the updated X folder?

Is there some way I can show you what’s happening to see if you can help? FTP access?

Hi Zaepian,

So you choose to update the live site, please update your Cornerstone as well. You can easily do this, by deactivating and deleting your current Cornerstone (1.1.3).

Then navigate to X > Validation wait for a few seconds and X will automatically re-install the latest version of Cornerstone (3.3.1) for you.

Remember to clear all your caching features (plugin, server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) after updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

So… Visual Composer is now WPBakery Page Builder??

After updating everything and clearing caches, I still have missing settings and it appears visual composer is gone! So, now I don’t know how to fix the formatting! What gives?

Below is an example of the things that are wrong.
The left side is how the site looked before the update, and the right side is after.

I need to know how to get the elements back into the container they were in with the black colored background and opacity the way it was.

What I really don’t understand is why the Services & Menu page and the Contact page still have their containers and transparent background, but the Home Page and History page lost it. Why would that happen? And, how do I fix it?

Another issue I’m having, that you can’t see in the picture, is there’s like a second button underneath the “Request Pricing” button that’s empty but clicks through to the same link. I don’t know why it’s there, but when I try to delete it, it also deletes the “Request Pricing” button… do you know what’s causing this?

Thanks.

*EDIT: I changed the pages (Main and History) to blank with container header/footer and that got the elements grouped the way they were - now, I just need to know how to replace the background image of the container with the black opacity (I have a PNG tile that can be used, but it needs to target just the container on the Home and History pages, not all containers) and I need to add a radius and black border to those two specific containers as well. Help? Oh, and I still haven’t figured out the double button issue on the Home page…

Hi There,

Could you please update your Cornerstone plugin to the latest version as well(v3.3.1)?

Please find this custom CSS:

element.style {
}
.entry-wrap {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75);
    border-radius: 20px;
}
.entry-wrap {
    background: url(http://sanmarinoclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/dark_leather.png);
}

And change to this:

.entry-wrap {
    background: rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75);
    border-radius: 20px
}

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

I’ve now got the containers and background opacity looking the way they should.

But, after updating cornerstone to 3.3.1, the second, blank button under the “Request Pricing” button on the Home Page hasn’t gone away. Any other insights as to how to possibly get rid of it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

I’ve finally figured it out myself.

There was a second button beneath my intended button because there was a gap in-between the text of the button and the shortcode. I don’t know how or why that extra spacing was there, but after deleting the extra space the second button disappeared.

I know it may sound more confusing than it is, so I’ve uploaded an image demonstrating the changes I made in case anyone needs help with a similar issue in the future.

Hello @Zaepian,

We are just glad that you have figured it out a way to correct the said issue.
Thanks for letting us know!

Best Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.