Customiser not working

Hi - after recent update to X Theme and Wordpress customiser has stopped working.

Site: mirandanet.ac.uk
Wordpress 4.9.1
X them: 5.2.5

Both updates were done in same session.

Erratic - sometimes just a page load error; can click reload button and sometimes get blank customiser - “You are customising MirandaNet” but with no settings displayed.

Have searched forum but this does not seem to be an issue for others.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Hey there,

Please check for the following first:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

2. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

7. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

Thanks.

Thanks for that helpful reply.

I have done all of that. No change - still getting the 500 page and a reload button.

Any further tips?

PS just noticed that I have given wrong text in first post. Page shows::

This page isn’t working

mirandanet.ac.uk is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500

Hey @dlongm01,

500 server error is mostly due to incorrect WordPress files and folders permission. But, server configurations could play a role on this too. Please try the solution suggested in this article. If that does not help, please give us WP Admin and FTP access in a Secure Note.

Thanks.

Thank you. But that made no change.

As far as I can tell this change in behaviour occurred after the recent theme upgrade, although Wordpress also updated to 4.9 (though I don’t think that is an issue?).

All working beautifully before that. I have disabled plugins to no effect. cleared caches endlessly, and am now stumped.

I can still access theme options via the X menu on the admin bar, which is strange really since these are almost identical to the customise options.

I guess the next step is to ask you to take a look.

Yes, that would be the next step. Please give us access to your WordPress admin in a Secure Note. If you could give FTP access, that would be great in order to speed things up in case we need it.

Thanks.

Hi there,

Any update could cause issues if not tested. And it’s recommended practice not to update your live site without testing it (especially if it’s major version), you should always do it staging site (your cloned site). And based on my personal experience in site’s maintenance and development, it could take a week or a month to weed out issues due to updates before pushing it live. I’m not saying the updates have issues, but the update could contain features that aren’t present to older version or features that are deprecated in the newer version (feature gaps) which of course could create issues with your existing setup. But clean install with the latest versions should have no issues.

And yes, please provide your FTP login credentials as well. It’s the only way we could get the details of the error.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.