Custom blog page / recent posts vertical masonry style formatting

Hello

I am brand new to X theme and I am very confused about what is possible to tweak without diving into the CSS(I do not really know much HTML or CSS beyond copying and pasting snippets of code and modifying them).

Is it possible to change the appearance of the blog page in significant ways ie. edit it in cornerstone? So far I have only been able to create pages from scratch in cornerstone and add ‘recent post’ modules

Is it possible to make the ‘recent posts’ module display vertical image previews ie. the way the blog page shows posts when masonry is enabled (if a featured image is vertical it will be displayed vertical here, however in the ‘recent posts’ module everything is made horizontal)

Also is there a way to go about the editing of the standard post page that all posts are displayed through using cornerstone? I’d like to be able to do simple things like turn off the featured image at the top of each post and make it so that this only shows up in the thumbnail preview of the post from the blog page. Is this possible without CSS? If not, does the Pro theme enable this sort of customization without diving into code?

Hey there,

No.

No.

If you mean create a post in Cornerstone, yes. It’s enabled out of the box. If not, go to Cornerstone > Settings then enable post under post types.

CSS is needed to hide the image in single post. If you need to turn off per post, PHP would be required.

The Pro theme’s features that are not available in X are the Header and Footer builders. There are no Blog controls currently.

Thanks.

Hi Christian

Thanks for you reply

Regarding the featured image being at the top of the post-what would I need to do to remove the featured image from the top of all posts/edit the template for all posts rather than just removing it from a single post?

Regarding masonry formatting/editing the appearance of the recent posts module-how do people create customized main pages that also show their recent posts then? Is all of this typically accomplished using other themes or in depth css overhaul of a page?

Thanks!

Hi there,

It can be only removed from single post and blog index page, it’s because those templates are only applicable for those. Unless you wish to remove portfolio featured images as well, which of course has different templates.

For this, please copy some template files to your child theme (eg. from \wp-content\themes\x\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\)

Examples,

\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-audio.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-gallery.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-image.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-link.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-quote.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-video.php \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-portfolio.php

Edit them in your child theme and remove the code-block that is related to featured image like this

<div class="entry-featured">
  </div>

About your second question, it’s custom coding which a bit complex. You’ll have to do custom queries and template editing which you may need some help from a developer.

Thanks!

Hello
Thank you for this.

Can you give me a bit more detailed of a walkthrough as to how to find and delete the code for the Featured image at the top of all of my posts? Is it possible to edit the template used by all posts on my site in cornerstone so I can modify the default POST page and effect all posts globally? Thanks!

Here is a link to the type of generic global post page that I would like to edit so that the changes are seen on all posts on the site
http://bedstuyloveaffair.us/wordpressdemo/2017/08/30/birth-high-kat-emrick/

Hi there,

Sure, let’s do it bit by bit,

1. Please go to X or Pro > Launch > Options > Stack, and take note the selected Stack, example, let’s say you have Integrity stack. Don’t forget that :slight_smile:

2. Then install your child theme ( https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-how-to-setup-child-themes/57 ).

3. Then using your hosting file manager, or by using FTP ( http://www.wikihow.com/Use-FTP ), copy the \wp-content\themes\x\framework\views{CURRENT STACK}\content.php to your child theme

Example (since your selected stack is integrity), copy it from \wp-content\themes\x\framework\views\integrity\content.php to \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\integrity\content.php

1. Now if you’re in your hosting file manager, simply edit \wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\integrity\content.php (please check your hosting documentation on how you could do that), or if you’re using FTP, then simply download the file and edit it with any text editor (notepad will do). Then you’ll see similar code to this
<?php

// =============================================================================
// VIEWS/INTEGRITY/CONTENT.PHP
// -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
// Standard post output for Integrity.
// =============================================================================

?>

<article id="post-<?php the_ID(); ?>" <?php post_class(); ?>>
    <?php x_featured_image(); ?>
  </div>
  <div class="entry-wrap">
    <?php x_get_view( 'integrity', '_content', 'post-header' ); ?>
    <?php x_get_view( 'global', '_content' ); ?>
  </div>
  <?php x_get_view( 'integrity', '_content', 'post-footer' ); ?>
</article>

(could be different per stack)

Then from that code, remove this

<?php x_featured_image(); ?>
  </div>
  1. Then if you’re in your hosting file manager, just save it. And if you’re using FTP, save it in your text editor and upload it back to your site.

2. Repeat the steps starting from #3 but this time, for other files

\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-audio.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-gallery.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-image.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-link.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-quote.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-video.php
\wp-content\themes\x-child\framework\views\{CURRENT STACK}\content-portfolio.php

Hope this helps.

Hi there,

May I help you with this? I saw your post but withdrawn :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hey thanks so much for checking in. I was confused and was trying to find a template that controlled all elements of the appearance but realized I needed to address sidebar, header and footer separately to create the final appearance of the post pages. Thanks so much!

Glad to see we managed to help!