Custom 404 doesn't work

Hi there,

by chance, I noticed that the 404 page doesn’t look very nice, there is a lot of vc code (see screenshot, please).

I checked some other topics and the information given there (PHP 7.1+, plugin version), but in our installation everything seems to be okay, isn’t it? I give you the URL via secure note.

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards

Hello @iknhh,

Thanks for writing in! :slight_smile:

It seems your 404 page is now working.

I noticed you’ve deleted your recent reply on this thread. Has this been resolved? Please confirm.

Thank you.

Hello @jumar jumar, hello all,

my recent reply contains the URL by mistake, sorry.

Do you have tested the 404 function with a “real” wrong URL, https://www.nki-consult.de/test for example? With this URL (and all other wrong URL) I get the error code page like the screen above. If you get https://www.nki-consult.de/nki-404 manually by URL it works, of course.

Thank you very much and kind regards!

Hello there,

This might be a plugin conflict issue. Can I ask for the following details in a secure note?

• Wordpress admin username/password

Thank you.

Hello, secure note is under my recent post right now.

Many thanks!

Hi There,

Upon checking, it seems that the page you have created using VC is corrupted. I have created another test page using Cornerstone and the 404 page is rendering properly now.

Could you please try re-creating your 404 and see if that helps.

Thanks!

He there,

thank you! But I think there’s going wrong something different. Just have a look on your page, as well as my “404 new” made with Cornerstone – without backend login. Where are the page itself, the navigation, footer and so on? It’s only a picture. And the Wordpress standard 404 looks the same way, nothing around?

Kind regards!

Hello There,

I have logged in and I found out that you haven’t enbaled the custom 404 feature in the plugin settings. Please go to X > Custom 404.

One enabled, you will still need to set which page is will display as your custom 404 page. For more details on how you can use the plugin, please check this out: https://community.theme.co/kb/extension-custom-404/

Hope this helps.

Hello @RueNel,

many thanks for your help. But it seems that we talk at cross-purposes? The not enabled custom 404 feature was an example of one of the frontend output, in this case the WP standard, of course.

Look on the screens, please. Thats my view on the 404 output. That empty page without style can’t be the right way, isn’t it? It’s creasy because the page settings are same as in all other pages and in Cornerstone I can see the styles.

There doesn’t work any template, no menus, no footer – nothing for navigation and nothing that shows the right site.

Whats’s going wrong?

Kind regards!

Hi there,

I think it’s because of v2 elements, it’s not working if those elements are pulled from a different page, hence, when used as 404 replacement, it display empty. Could you try using classic elements?

Though I can’t fully check it, it displays browser’s 404 page when I access your non-existing page instead of a WP’s 404. It could be due to your host’s 404 and error handling. I’ll try it again later just in case this is just due to my browser or connection.

Thanks!

Hi there,

you are right, I get a 404 error as well now. It’s spooky… ! I think there is anything going wrong massively, something with PHP, scripts or things like that!? Actually your test page is activated in the custom 404 plugin. see screenshot.

If you get the published 404 test pages via URL (see URLs in secure note, please), you have no problems, everything fine, so just the URL to a page which doesn’t exist couses the problem. Right?

I deactivated wordfence, Cache and SEO plugin already but it’s the same.

What do you mean with v2 elements? Visual Composer?

Thanks and regards!

Hi there,

They are cornerstone v2 elements, the old elements are labeled classic so the one without are already a v2 elements. I can’t find what’s causing that error either, it looks like it bypasses the Wordpress 404 error page. Would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? Maybe it’s due to internal error.

Thanks!

Hi there,

OK, now FTP login in the secure note above.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I did test the case but I could not find what is causing that error message which seems to be generated from HTACCESS or some hosting related thing.

I wanted to test the case but unfortunately, I may ruin a live site. Please move your website to a staging server and clear all cache and disable ALL plugins except Cornerstone.

Then test the case. If it still shows the page below:

Contact your hosting service provider to get at least the original version of the WordPress 404 page.

Thank you.

Hi all,

thanks a lot for your great help again! I thought one of the last X updates couses the problem, after the “the usual suspects” like SEO, wordfence, Cache and such plugins don’t acknowledged.

I made a staging copy on a different server and do like you recommended. What a surprise: The author box plugin https://molongui.amitzy.com causes the wrong 404 page. Developer of Amitzy had fixed the problem.

Sorry for the effort!

Kind Regards!

No problem. Glad to hear that! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.