Cornerstone Won't Load Page - PHP 7.2?

Hey Team,
Having the same problem as other thread about Cornerstone not loading pages on posm.org site.

1. Had my hosting company increase my PHP memory limit.
  2. Everything is updated and all caches have been blown out.
  3. Problem persists

Hosting company says:
there is an error in the log for the cornerstone plugin:

2 PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function x_values_element_button() in /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/elements/definitions/button.php:22\nStack trace:\n#0 /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/elements/class-element-manager.php(114): require_once()\n#1 /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/elements/class-element-manager.php(106): Cornerstone_Element_Manager->load_files(Array, ‘/nas/content/li…’)\n#2 /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/elements/class-element-manager.php(9): Cornerstone_Element_Manager->register_native_elements()\n#3 /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/utility/plugin-base.php(248): Cornerstone_Element_Manager->setup()\n#4 /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/utility/plugin-base.php(290): Cornerstone_Plugin_Base->loadComponent(‘Element_Manager’)\n#5 /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/class in /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/elements/definitions/button.php on line 22

You are using PHP 7.2, may want to check with Cornerstone, if we need to change that to PHP 7.3 for you

Thoughts?

Hello @Solidwebservice,

Thanks for writing in!

PHP 7.2 should work with the X theme. Can you please clear your plugin cache or at least temporarily deactivate Autoptimize plugin at the moment because it is loading the old cached version of the theme.

Please let us know how it goes.

I cleared the autoptimize cache, I also deactivated it. I had my hosting company blow out all of the caches. I then logged in through an incognito window. Still having the same problem.

Hey @Solidwebservice,

Would you mind providing us access to your site so that we can check your settings? Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Thanks.

Hello @Solidwebservice,

I have logged in and I no longer see any fatal error. The cornerstone is not loading because the cornerstone endpoint got an error 404 respond from the server. Something could be blocking that directory in your server. A 3rd party plugin perhaps. You could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Please let us know how it goes.

I deactivated all plugins except cornerstone. Still having the same problem.

Hello @Solidwebservice,

Is your ModSecurity enabled? If that is the case, please contact your hosting provider and them to whitelist the url in the secure note.

Hope this helps.

WPEngine says they do not have ModSecurity enabled on their servers.

Hi @Solidwebservice,

I reinstalled the Cornerstone, and the 404 endpoint problem is still there. I wonder if this problem happened after you updated the theme or WP-Engine changed something?

From the title of the thread, I assume that WP-Engine recently changed the PHP version? Would you please ask WP-Engine to provide a staging version of the website and try to run it with another version of PHP to see if it really is the problem cause?

Thank you.

WPengine did not change php versions. They simply asked if X required an upgrade to v 7.3 . Hence the title.

Checked with WPEngine support about the 404 error, they say:
believe it may be due to the way it’s reading that ‘custom path’ line; testing the direct path along with the default X in a moment but still seeing the infinite spin on our end; will check errors logs once it errors out on my end
the plugin paths all look good; and /nas/content/live/posm/wp-content/themes/x is accurate as well as the plugin directory for cornerstone; accessible as normal; but when setting to the default; or re-setting to cornerstone; when it’s loading from https://posm.org/x/#/content I get that same spin and initial 404; will rebuild the site conf and take another pass
file permissions set to the default on the server; but it’s absolutely not loading as intended as you said

WPWengine Support added:
Just trying each path referenced in their documentation - pro, cornerstone, and x as the default; not seeing changes in the resolve; and the same ‘end point’ as they call it, error
If they have additional information regarding the specific perms error they’re referencing; ex: what needs to talk to where; etc - since on our end we’re seeing nothing in our killed logs; or errors relating to the path itself; and since it’s not timing out; it’s essentially just endlessly running / not functioning; it’s just that much harder for us to diagnose

And finally:
I exhausted our normal routes but for context to deliver to the cornerstone folks; reset perms to the default permissions on the server - regenerated site conf (rebuild and made sure the wp-conf was not truncated) cleared server / site cache - applied default nginx settings to site and refreshed nginx blocks associated - tried all three paths for ‘custom path’ per their documentation for the file, x, cornerstone, and pro, though when it’s calling it loads out domain.com/x - which since ‘x’ isnt a directory in the root; my initial belief was that it needs to be reading a different custom path but that’s a better question for them

Hi @Solidwebservice,

Thank you for the information and WO-Engine is doing their best to help with the case. Just for your information, the custom path does not have anything to do with the problem as the mainurl/x/... is a correct path. Cornerstone uses that path to generate the builder features and it does not need to have a separate folder for that. So we can leave that guess out.

I double-checked the X and Cornerstone installation on my local and two online installations again and the 404 end-point error is not happening. This shows that something is wrong with your environment which we need to find out.

Before anything, we need to make sure if there is an installation problem or server settings issue. To be able to find that out we need you to move your website to another server or your local machine and check the builder. Click here on how to move a WordPress website.

If the result is a working builder in another server it shows that something is up with the server settings, but if the problem persists then it will show that something is up with the installation. This will give us a clear path on how to proceed here.

Another point that I did not get an answer yet is when this problem started happening? Did you get it after an update? As you mentioned there is no change in the PHP version so if it was working in 7.2 before, then it should not be the cause of the problem.

Thank you.

Switched to our staging site version of the website - posm.staging.wpengine.com .

1. Working perfectly on previous version of X and Cornerstone
  2. Updated X to latest version, works great
  3. Updated Cornterstone, spinning error crops up again
    I’ve created user name and pw for you. Will share in secure notes section.

Hi @Solidwebservice,

Thank you for moving the website to the staging website. I had a chance to do some troubleshooting, and it turned out the problem is your Child Theme.

For some reason, the customization that you have done in the Child Theme causes the issue. I switched the theme to the parent one, and the Theme Option and Cornerstone work ok.

Thank you.

Awesome. Thoughts on what’s causing the conflict?

Hello @Solidwebservice,

You may need to disable the codes added in the child theme’s functions.php as it may be the reason of the issue. I would highly recommend that you make use o the X child theme and slowly moved your customizations from POSM child theme one by one to easily find out which of the customization in that child really have caused the issue.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.