Cornerstone ultra slow

Hi there. For the last month I´ve been experiencing a very slow cornerstone. Now, it is almost not working at all when I try to edit a page.

It is giving me this “The preview HTML did not include a closing ; tag. It may fail to load or work properly.” and after, this "The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing."

I´ve found people with similar problems but could´t fix the problem. Disabled plugins, increased memory limit, cleared caches and even paid for a service to have private hosting. My hosting service said "you’ll want to contact the developer of Cornerstone and let them know of the issue… let them know that you have a VPS with 1GB of RAM and are experiencing issues with your resources being exceeded."

This has been really frustrating. Can you help?

Hey There,

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

• Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

ok, thanks

Hey There,

Thanks for providing the information. I have logged in and this error “The preview HTML did not include a closing ; tag. It may fail to load or work properly.” usually happens if you have minified JS and CSS with W3 Total Cache. Please be aware that the JS and CSS files in the theme were already minified. You may only combined them and we do not recommend that you minify it again because it may result to issues such as what you are having now. For more details about Cornerstone messages, please check it here:

Hope this helps.

Hi there, actually this did not help me.

The minify option is NOT enabled. The problem persists. I did already w]hat is written in the link you sent me. Can you please take a closer look?

Thanks

Hi there,

The admin itself is taking time to load. You mean your memory limit is set to 1GB? It’s 256mb based on Display Memory plugin that I installed. Are you on shared hosting? I’ll continue checking but would you mind cloning your site into staging? That way, I could uninstall plugins (security and other features) without hurting your lives it :slight_smile:

Please note that performance is not because of memory alone, it’s also related to how many CPUs are being used. Given that you have many plugins, caching and especially the security plugin, it could make it slow since they are CPU intensive, now add the theme and builders with many features. But, even by just navigating the dashboard, plugin page, and other section where there is no builder’s being loaded, it’s very slow.

Thanks!

Hi there, thanks for taking a closer look

Hi there,

First of all, the problem of the preview should be fixed. I should insist that the last resort will be you to migrate the WordPress to your local machine or another server to test the case, We established that you do have a dedicated server, but the problem might be the settings or Firewall which I can not confirm at the moment.

I checked your website and disabled all plugin except the Cornerstone. The result is indeed much better. I managed to add a test page and used the Cornerstone without any errors:

http://www.salvavidasamazonia.org/test-page/

The same page gives the preview error when the plugins are on. You need to do the tests by enabling plugins one by one and check the test page to see which one is causing the conflict. You need to change the test page and save to make sure everything is working ok.

Now regarding the Homepage, the homepage still throws the error while all plugins are disabled. I installed the WP Server info plugin which you can check from Dashboard > WP Server Infor. The Max execution time is slow on your installation. Kindly contact your hosting service provider and ask them to change it from 30 to 300:

The Memory limit is ok and 512MB seems to be sufficient, the Homepage does have many sections which might be the cause of the problem. I suggest that you install the Duplicate Post plugin and clone your homepage and try to remove the sections one by one. See when the preview comes back.

Needless to say that even when you have preview problem you can use the Skeleton Mode to change things around in this case:

Another point is that the cache plugins might have a transient cache which in some cases cause the problems. I suggest that you install the plugin below and clear the transient cache on your database:

I also added the code below to your functions.php file of the child theme to avoid the W3 Total cache throw false error while checking the Cornerstone:

add_filter( 'w3tc_can_print_comment', '__return_false' );

Please kindly consider that we also here try to find why this is happening in your case, that is not happening on our servers and our local installation. Most of the time the Memory limit is the problem, in other cases the execution time, in some cases a firewall of some kind. Unfortunately for your case, we could not find the reason for the problem n your homepage.

The last point is that the plugins are all disabled now as I do not remember which one was enabled before. You need to enable them one by one and test the test page.

Thank you for your understanding.

Hi Christopher. Thanks for all the help. i will be doing the tests and contact my host to change what you asked. I]f it´s not fixed, I will come back to you for more help.

Thanks a lot

Let us know how it goes!

Hi there. i still have the plugins deactivated and now the error changed for

The preview could not load due to the iframe response being incomplete. This is most often related to a plugin conflict, or customizations introducing a PHP error.

Hi There,

Please contact your hosting and make sure mod_security is not blocking the
/cornerstone-endpoint whenever it contains an iframe element (Vimeo, Youtube, Map, etc.).

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.