Cornerstone preview not working on new articles

I’ve been experiencing a strange error in the last few days.

I can edit old articles/pages without any problem with Cornerstone’s live preview, but when I try to create a new one or even clone an older article, I get the “The preview could not load. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing. Checking the developer console for errors could indicate what went wrong.” error.

Checking the developer console, I get this error:

I already did the suggested troubleshooting that I found on other topics, but nothing seems to change.

This happened after the most recent X Theme / Cornerstone update, and seems to only affect articles created after that.

Any help would be awesome!

Hi There,

I would like to check your website but it’s inaccessible right now. Could you please double check?

Meanwhile, you can try with the steps below:

1. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  2. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  3. Switch to the parent theme to check if the issue persists.
  4. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  5. Make sure that you’re running at least PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any WordPress related incompatibility issues. If you’re not sure what your server configurations and settings are, install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and check your server info by head over to Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area.
  6. Check your PHP Max Execution Time and set it for 120 for optimal usage (https://thimpress.com/knowledge-base/how-to-increase-maximum-execution-time-for-wordpress-site/).
  7. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thanks.

I just double checked every single step you mentioned, but everything remains the same.

I added the secure note as requested. Thank you!

Hi Nuno,

Upon further testing, I see that you’re getting an error 500 internal server error when loading that post (see secure note). Usually it could be related to a PHP fatal error, which you need to investigate it further by enabling your WP_DEBUG mode (https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG). Once you enable WP_DEBUG mode, you should see appropriate PHP error messages once you load your page/post.

Or else, enable your error log by following this resource (https://snapcreek.com/blog/wordpress-error-log-friend/) and then when you try to edit your post, it will record any PHP errors in your error log.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

So I enabled the debug mode and got this:

PHP Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/inovinte/public_html/wp-includes/cron.php:320) in /home/inovinte/public_html/wp-admin/includes/misc.php on line 1126

My question is why is this only happening on new articles, because older ones seem to work just fine.

Hey Nuno,

The error is coming from WordPress core. Please try re-installing WordPress by going to Dashboard > Updates and clicking the Re-install Now button.

If that does not help, please also try upgrading to PHP 7.

And as a last resort, please give us FTP access also.

Thanks.

Reinstalled WP and upgraded PHP to 7.2, no luck…

FTP access added in secure note.

Thank you!

Thanks for providing the FTP access, Nuno. Regretfully, there is no significant lead that can point us to the exact cause of the issue. If there’s nothing in the third party plugin that can override the Draft Post functionality, this is certainly something in your WordPress setup and/or server setup.

I recommend you copy your site to a test server or a different environment to test the server setup factor. If the issue persists, you will need reverse your setup by installing a fresh WordPress install still in the test server and only install Pro. You can then add plugins one by one until the issue is replicated.

Thanks for testing.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.