Cornerstone Plugin Update → Fatal Error → site down

Hi there!

My whole site is in broken because cornerstone is throwing a fatal error after an update.

I have updated Theme X and all my other plugins as well.

I will reply with my admin login credentials below.

Here is the error stack trace:

An error of type E_ERROR was caused in line 20 of the file /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone-powerpack/elements/image-overlay/image-overlay.php. Error message: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function cornerstone_remove_element() in /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone-powerpack/elements/image-overlay/image-overlay.php:20
Stack trace:
#0 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): cs_imageoverlay_register_elements('')
#1 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters('', Array)
#2 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(465): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#3 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/elements/class-element-orchestrator.php(52): do_action('cornerstone_reg...')
#4 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/elements/class-element-orchestrator.php(19): Cornerstone_Element_Orchestrator->register_elements()
#5 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/utility/plugin-base.php(248): Cornerstone_Element_Orchestrator->setup()
#6 /home/acecoach/public_html/wp-content/plug

Hi there,

I’m sorry you’re encountering this issue. I’ve confirmed it’s because of a change we made in the element API. It is because of a function called by the Cornerstone Powerpack plugin. We will correct this so the conflict is resolved in the next version. This will be available as early as this evening, possibly tomorrow.

Thanks.

What do I do in the meantime? How do I revert to an earlier version of the plugin? I can’t find anywhere to download the last version of X and cornerstone.

Scratch that last request. I did a full backup restore. We’re good to go now. Thank you!

Pleas let me know when the error is resolved.

Sounds good. We will update this thread: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/release-notes-pro-3-0-x-7-0-cornerstone-4-0/64267

You’ll also see an update notification in your dashboard for Cornerstone 4.0.1 and X 7.0.1

I don’t see the changelog reference this error. Does 4.0.1 fix my error? Or am I waiting for a future update?

Cornerstone 4.0.1 should fix this. It’s the changelog line about cornerstone_remove_element which is referenced in our error log.

this is happening to me too, even after deleting cornerstone 4.0.1 and installing 3.5.5

my error:
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function x_get_option() in /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/extend/portfolio.php:31 Stack trace: #0 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(286): cs_portfolio_init(’’) #1 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(310): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array) #2 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(465): WP_Hook->do_action(Array) #3 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-settings.php(525): do_action(‘init’) #4 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-config.php(92): require_once(’/home/jonthani/…’) #5 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-load.php(37): require_once(’/home/jonthani/…’) #6 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-admin/admin.php(34): require_once(’/home/jonthani/…’) #7 /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-admin/plugins.php(10): require_once(’/home/jonthani/…’) #8 {main} thrown in /home/jonthani/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/extend/portfolio.php on line 31

Hello Jonathan,

Could you please update to the latest versions?
Our latest versions are:

• X theme 7.0.1
  • Cornerstone 4.0.1
  • WordPress 5.2.3

This latest release contains fixes for several issues so be sure to check out the changelog (http://theme.co/changelog/).

_After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.-

Please let us know how it goes.

Yes, Did you read my message? I installed Cornerstone 4.0.1. It caused my entire site to crash. throwing the error above. So I then reinstalled the last stable release, 3.5.5. The same error is still occurring. I now have Cornerstone disabled and there are no errors.

1 Like

Hi @jif84,

The error you mentioned could be indicative of updating Cornerstone, but not updating X. This is why we suggested making sure everything is up to date. These steps might help:

• Delete Cornerstone
  • Make sure WordPress is the latest version
  • Make sure X is the latest version
  • After activating X, it will prompt you to install Cornerstone which will be the latest version since that is what is bundled in X.

I do not have X installed, I am only using this as a page builder. EVERYTHING is up to date, except I downgraded to 3.5.5 because 4.0 failed, and 4.0.1 failed.

Hello Jonathan,

We kindly ask that you open up your issue in a separate thread with your WP log in credentials in a secure note so that we can investigate the issue further. It is better to post your WP credentials in a separate thread to make sure that only you and our staff can view it.

By the way, Cornerstone 4.0.2 is now available in automatic updates! This release contains fixes for several issues, like you have mentioned above, so be sure to check out the changelog (https://theme.co/changelog/). Please do update to the latest version. After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Please let us know how it goes.

These steps worked for me! It’s working now. Thanks!

Glad it’s working now, cheers!

Question: When I uninstalled the cornerstone plugin I also uninstalled the “cornerstone powerpack” which I thought was now covered by the main cornerstone features.

Now the front page of my website at the bottom doens’t have the “cornerstone image overlay” that it used to have: https://acecoachtraining.com/

Hello @blanchardjeremy,

Please be advised that “Cornerstone Powerpack” is not a product of Theme.co. It is a 3rd party extension/plugin from other developers. If you have used that plugin to have the Cornerstone image Overlay, I strongly suggest that you leave that plugin active.

If ever the plugin is causing issues, you may need to contact its creator to inform them above the issue. They may not aware of the latest release of Cornerstone or yet to release an update of their plugin to support the latest version of Cornerstone.

By the way, please be advised that we just released X 7.0.4 and Cornerstone 4.0.4. It is now available in automatic updates. You can now update to this latest version. This latest release contains fixes for several issues so be sure to check out the changelog (http://theme.co/changelog/).

After doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

Regards.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.