Cornerstone Plugin Not Working for Editing

Hi there,

When I try to edit any page in Cornerstone on my WordPress site, I see the following message:

Loading…

Session expired

Please log in again. The login page will open in a new window. After logging in you can close it and return to this page.

Can someone take a look and let me know what’s going on?

Thanks,
Kevin

Hello @kbisk,

Thanks for writing in!

I see that you are using old version of WordPress 4.4.18. Please update WordPress to latest version WordPress 5.2.2 to avoid any conflicts.

Here is the guide of updating WordPress core:

https://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WordPress

Thanks.

Hey there, I had attempted the upgrade to 5.2.2 before writing in; after the upgrade, the site’s appearance completely fell apart and the previous X theme layout we had in place was not maintained. Any idea why that would happen?

Hi @kbisk,

I tried to access the admin login link and the site has an error 500 message.

Is it the staging site that you are working on? If so, you can login through FTP then edit the wp-config.php file and find the line: define( 'WP_DEBUG', false );. Set it to true then save the file. Log back in the admin area and you should be able to see some more error information when you redo the steps you are having issues with.

Kindly also make sure that you have both X and Cornerstone updated to the latest version as it will cause an incompatiblity issue if only one of them is updated.

You can find the latest supported version of the plugins here:

Let us know how it goes.

Hey there, thanks for trying. The site was down while I troubleshooted the on-going problems and updated WordPress.

I have successfully upgraded to WordPress 5.2.2 and the login credentials I gave should work once again.

Here’s an update on X Theme and Cornerstone following the update:

1. The site’s homepage has lost it’s banner image; there used to be an image with a logo over top that filled the screen with the navigation bar always aligned to the bottom edge. I have not yet investigated that, but do you know a fast way to bring it back?

2. When I try to edit any page or portfolio item with Cornerstone, this is what I see:

The preview could not load. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing. Checking the developer console for errors could indicate what went wrong.

All plugins have been updated. Cornerstone is running Version 3.5.5.

Update to issue #2 that I mentioned; this appears to be affecting mainly the portfolio items when trying to edit with Cornerstone. The “preview could not load” error comes up for each item.

As for the aggressive page cacheing it warns against, the site does have the “W3 Total Cache” plugin installed but it is currently disabled.

For the WordPress “pages”, cornerstone loads but the previews do not appear to be complete - images and text are showing up as gray blocks.

If you could take a look, that would be appreciated!

Update / solution to issue #1 mentioned above - the missing banner image: deleting and then re-installing the plugin “Slider Revolution” brought it right back without any problems.

Another update on issue #2 so you know where I am at with attempts to resolve the issue. I have cleared the cache / stored site data in my browser, Firefox, however, the issue remains.

This occurs in both the latest versions of Firefox and Chrome.

Hello @kbisk,

I have logged in and investigated your issue. There is a fatal error when you edit a portfolio item in Cornerstone. Please make sure that your PHP version and your MySQL version meets the requirement to run the latest WordPress. Please check it out in the url provided in the secure note. You can check out the server requirements here: https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

And please also increase the PHP max file size and the PHP post max size to at least 32MB:

Please let us know how it goes.

OK, thanks. I will look into this. Unfortunately the host for this site does not give it’s users the ability to adjust the server configuration, so I have to wait to connect with them to make those changes / upgrades.

I will respond again when I get that sorted out.
Thanks for your help.

I have spoken with my hosting company about the updates –

PHP Upload max filesize is now 32MB and PHP post max size is now 64MB.

The server PHP version is 7.3.7. The MySQL version, however, is only 5.5.46-cll-lve. WordPress recommends MySQL 5.6 or higher, but that official requirement page does state that WordPress will function with older versions (MySQL 5.0+).

I requested that the MySQL version be upgraded, but was told that is not possible given that the current version of MySQL on the server is the highest version currently supported by the site’s control panel, Plesk.

Are you able to give me any other information about the error happening with Cornerstone? And is there any indication that the MySQL version is what’s causing the problem?

Also, can you take a look at what’s happening when a “Page” is edited in cornerstone - I will include an example link below. The preview is blank with gray boxes, no images or text populated.

Thanks.

Hello @kbisk,

You cannot edit the portfolio items in Cornerstone because there is a slug conflict between page slug and the portfolio custom url slug in X > Theme Options > Portfolio. You will need to change one of the slug so that you can edit the portfolio item in Cornerstone.

Please let us know how it goes.

Hi there,

I have changed the slug on the conflicting page and left the portfolio slug as-is.

Could I ask that you remove the identifying page slug from the your previous message or move it to a secure note?

Unfortunately, I am still not able to edit portfolio items with the slugs changed (I have also tried clearing the caches if that was interfering). Also, the portfolio items pages are now all broken and unrecognizable, despite having not been able to edit them. Not sure how this happened and if there’s any way of reverting back to how they were. Not much point in rolling back without Cornerstone available to edit though.

Hi @kbisk,

I have remove the page slug as requested.

Regarding Portfolio issue, when I checked the source code there’s double html block. There’s an html block inside the main html block. It started with your sidebar:

<!-- begin Lawyer Profile Side Bar -->
    <div class="lawyer-profile-side-bar">
      <!DOCTYPE html>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="en-CA">

Then at the end there’s error:

<body data-rsssl=1 id="error-page">
	<p>The site is experiencing technical difficulties.</p></body>
</html>

Please try removing that code block first. Or you might try to switch to main X theme just to make sure this is not a result of your customization. But most like it is because of custom code.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for pointing that out. The upgraded PHP version played a role in all this as there was one outdated PHP code line in the custom theme file which was causing both the portfolio pages to not display correctly and also preventing cornerstone from being able preview / edit the file.

I appreciate the help in identifying the issue - thanks!

We’re glad it’s resolved! Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.