Cornerstone on home page not working after update

Hi guys,
I ran the X update yesterday, and now the Cornerstone preview won’t load on the HOME page only, so I can’t edit it.
All other Cornerstone pages are fine. All plugins are fine. There is no CSS. It’s not cacheing.
I see other people have the same issue.
Could you please advise.
Thank you

Hello Craig,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please follow up the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  7. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Thanks but I’ve read these instructions previously. They’re no help to me - I’m not a developer and some of that tech is beyond my capability. As I mentioned above, it’s not plugins (checked), it’s not cacheing (cleared).
The site has no custom CSS on it. We’re not using a CDN.
It’s only affecting the HOME page, not any other Cornerstone pages.
A previous poster here on the forum has the exact same problem and none of these steps helped her either.
I’ll send login details via a Secure Note.

1 Like

hi Craig,

Thanks for writing in and the details!

I can confirm the issue in the home page. I have created a test home page and imported the same content to that page and its working fine.
Please delete your home page and make the test page as your home page. Also you can create a similar page and import the home page content template which I have already saved.

Hope this helps!

OK, thank you.
With the new page you have created, I want the slug left blank so that only the site url appears in the search snippet, not with the ‘home’ page permalink. On the original page, this worked fine - it had a clean url without ‘home’ attached to it, I’m assuming because it was set as the home page from the theme template.How can I replicate the original front page url?

I’ve also just tried to create a new page and test/check the home page content template, but the same error for Cornerstone comes up - it won’t load and I can’t edit in Cornerstone.

Ok, sorry, please ignore the permalink query. I worked it out.

However, there’s still an issue with Cornerstone - I’ve tried to create two new pages to edit in Cornerstone, and both come up with the same error as previously.

And I’ve just now tried to edit the new home page - same deal. Cornerstone won’t load.

Hi Craig,

I have installed the following plugin to check your server configuration (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and accessed it through Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area and I see the following issues.

Your PHP memory limit is set to 256MiB. If you have already tried to increase it by following the guide above, that means your hosting provider is not allowing to increase it. You need to contact your hosting provider to increase it. Perhaps you may have to upgrade your hosting plan.

The second possible issue is that your PHP Max Script Execute Time is set to 30 seconds. We recommend to increase it to 120 or above. You can refer to the following guide on how to increase it (https://www.simplified.guide/php/increase-max-execution-time).

Once you make those changes, then try to load your Cornerstone builder and see if that helps.

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

I have this exact problem as well. Deactivated Slider Revolution and the content reappears

Whilst I appreciate your help, I’m not a developer and have no chance of being able to follow those instructions.
This is very frustrating and disappointing as everything was working before the recent updates.

Thanks for the input. We don’t use the slider plugin. It’s not a plugin issue for us. Glad to hear yours has been fixed.

Hi @admin_gbd,

Would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? There is an internal server error but I couldn’t get its detail. It happens on the actual page URL (not on requests). We can’t provide further answers until we could find the details of the error.

Thanks!

Thanks @Rad, I’ll send credentials now in a secure note.
Our host has also increased the PhP to 512mb.

Hi Craig,

Thanks, I checked and there is no error being logged. More like notices coming from Google Analytics plugin, but I deactivated it and still logs the same notices.

Then, I installed all in one migration plugin to get a copy of your site and it’s working just fine. Please check the video in the secure note. This concludes that the issue is your hosting environment and I can’t pinpoint what specific part as it’s not logging any error. I recommend doing the same thing but on another and test host.

Thanks!

Thanks. Sorry I couldn’t view the video - I just get a blank page.

I will contact our hosting service, but given I use the same host and have used them for years for several sites without an issue, I don’t understand why this would be a problem at their end.
I use X and Cornerstone on another site with the same host - it’s still working fine but I haven’t run the updates given what has happened with this site. And it’s a much bigger site than this one.

This is a small site, with few plugins, no complex content and minimal traffic.

Hi Craig,

I’m not really sure what’s wrong and we’re not familiar with how their hosting works. They could update their host environment too, or change any settings anytime they need. Though, the copy of your site works outside your hosting environment.

The video is playing from my end, and it’s a dropbox URL so it should be accessible anywhere unless if you have a firewall that blocks all requests to Dropbox.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.