Cornerstone Not Working since 6.5.2 update - editor not showing

Hello, I started having issues with Cornerstone with the last update. It was working fine on March 6th, but after I updated on March 7th to the 6.5.2 version Cornerstone looked different and wouldn’t let me save my content changes on the homepage. I tried going back to the second to last version and now I can’t get Cornerstone editor to load at all. Everything is updated, theme and plugin. I see the Cornerstone button when I go to edit my homepage, but when I click on it it just takes me to my homepage and not the editor.

I tried reverting the last version, deactivating Cornerstone, deleting Cornerstone and then updating the theme to the latest version and I didn’t have any success. My site is tonyevans.org. And I should also note that in the past we’ve had a hard time getting the preview panel to work inside the Cornerstone editor. We’ve been working in Skeletal mode, but now I can’t even get to that part.

Thank you.

Hi @TroyBlack,

Thanks for writing in! I have checked your site and I noticed that you have installed Autoptimize plugin. You need clear the cache of this plugin. Just always keep in mind that after doing the updates, always remember to clear all caches (if you are using Autoptimize, WP Rocket, WP SuperCache or W3 Total Cache) when updating so that the code from the latest release is always in use. This will help you to avoid any potential errors.

And please clear your browser cache too. You may use private browsing mode in testing your site to make sure that you are viewing the latest codes from the updates and not the cached version in your browser.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Okay that helped get the editor back. But I’m still having an issue seeing the preview section and getting it to save any changes. The logo just continues to act like it’s trying to load it, but it never does. And the skeleton view only gives me an accordion menu and not the wireframes like it use to.

Hi Troy,

I see, in that case, may I know the site’s URL and admin login credentials in the secure note? We’ll check the issue to see if it’s still cache related or something else.

Thanks!

Hi Troy,

I have investigated your issue further and found out that, it’s still Autoptimize plugin causing the issue. I have cleared Autoptimize cache, then disabled it temporarily and then I was able to edit your page using Cornerstone (see secure note below).

I would suggest you to keep your Autoptimize plugin disabled while you’re developing your site and then you can enable it again once the site is live.

Hope that helps.
Thanks!

We’ll, we’re getting closer. The editor has the Preview mode which is great! I’m still getting the red error though that says “Content failed to save”.

Please let me know if you need access to the site again to look into it. The temporary admin I set up has expired.

Hi Troy,

Yes, I see that the WordPress user that you have created does not have enough permission to check your site. We will require admin access to troubleshoot this issue further.

In the meantime, could you please try disabling your 3rd party plugins except Cornerstone plugin, then try to edit your content using Cornerstone and see if you’re getting the same red notice. If the issue is resolved, then you can activate your plugins one by one to see which plugin causing the issue.

Also please make sure to clear all caches before testing, once you update your theme. You can refer to the following resource if required (https://www.wpbeginner.com/beginners-guide/how-to-clear-your-cache-in-wordpress/).

Let us know how it goes.
Thanks!

I tried disabling all plugins but Cornerstone and was still getting the error. I tried updating all the plugins, themes and Wordpress that were due for an update and that didn’t work. I tried clearing my cache between all these steps too.

I extended the administrator privileges for that user I gave you for the next 48 hours again. It should be the same login as before.

Thanks!

Hey Troy,

You might need the PHP memory limit of your site increased.

To do this, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
    define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

Here is a details article about the PHP Memory Limit that is in our Knowledge Base:

In case the issue persists, please try to get in touch with your hosting provider and confirm to them that your PHP memory limit is increased.

That did it! Thanks so much for your help. You guys are great.

You’re most welcome!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.