Cornerstone Not Working on New Posts and Pages

I am trying to troubleshoot this, but I keep hitting roadblocks. Initially, the Cornerstone tab wasn’t showing up when I went in to create a new post or edit a post I know was created using Cornerstone. After digging through support articles, I have now enabled everything under the Posts category in X > Settings > Permissions.

The tab is now available in new posts and pages, but when I click on it, it doesn’t actually open Cornerstone and kicks me back to the (empty) “Text” tab within the same screen. To clarify, I am able to use Cornerstone on existing pages and posts just fine, but I am not able to use Cornerstone on new pages and posts.

Here’s a screen recording of what’s happening: https://cl.ly/56525d8de493

I have tried increasing PHP memory limits, purging all caches (database, pages, and browser), disabling third party plugins, disabling Cornerstone and re-enabling, entering development mode (no active caching), and disabling my caching plugin entirely. I’m not sure at this point if it’s a theme issue or a host issue, but my guess is it’s theme-related. Any help getting Cornerstone to work on new posts/pages would be most appreciated! Thank you!

– Mikaela

Hello @mkehly,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please follow up the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  4. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  5. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  6. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

I had already gone through almost all of the steps in this list (which I noted in my initial post, but I realize this is probably a form response), but I renamed the htaccess file (the only thing I hadn’t tried from this list) this morning and it didn’t fix the issue, so I’ve created an admin account for you. Details in the secure note. Thank you!

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in!
The cornerstone is just fine in your site and there is no issue at all.
You need to save/publish the page or post to edit with the cornerstone. Because Cornerstone does need a post or page URL.
Without saving or publishing the post or page you can’t get the page or post link.
So you can’t edit it through cornerstone.
If you don’t want to publish the page before editing, you can same the page as Draft and then edit via the editor.

Hope this clarifies your issue!

Thanks

I appreciate the clarification, but is that a new thing? I’ve always been able to create the new page/post and immediately use Cornerstone without having to save a draft or publish (which is how I’ve done it on multiple domains for at least 3 years now).

Regardless, thank you for letting me know!

You are most welcome. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.