Cornerstone Not registering for Global Block plugin

I use the Global Block Plugin (NOT the themeco global block manager, yet) and Now(after updating to the most recent version), the cornerstone editing is no longer available. FYI, I have it enabled in settings area.

PLEASE HELP.

Hi,

It sounds like you might be having an issue with a third party plugin. Regretfully, we cannot provide support for third party plugins or scripts as our support policy in the sidebar states due to the fact that there is simply no way to account for all of the potential variables at play when using another developer’s plugin or script. Because of this, any questions you have regarding setup, integration, or troubleshooting any piece of functionality that is not native to X will need to be directed to the original developer.

Thank you for your understanding.

I’m having a problem with X not adding the cornerstone edit button for a custom post type, using a plugin that was HEAVILY recommended by you, whose functionality was added to into the main theme by you.

(you referring to themeco, not you specifically)

Hey @plastiquefruit,

Try going to X > Settings and under Permissions, find your custom post type and enable or configure the permissions. If that does not help, please contact the third party global block plugin developer.

Please note that we did not officially recommend a third party global block plugin. The official Global Block feature was not taken from any third party plugin. There WAS a global block plugin that served as an inspiration only. It’s possible that I missed an announcement though so if you have a link where we endorsed such a product, would you mind posting it here?

Thanks.

Does the inbuilt Global block feature have the option to not use the Cornerstone builder? There’s several times where i only need the text editor and not all the extra stuff that the corner stone builder adds.

Hi there,

That is right. The Permission Manager feature was introduced in X 6.1.0, Cornerstone 3.1.0,

https://theme.co/changelog/#theme-pro-2-1-0-theme-x-6-1-0-cornerstone-3-1-0

Also, the Advanced and Simple mode feature in Cornerstone was also introduced in the same update where you can control how much options you will have for the elements in Cornerstone.

Hope this helps.

Hey @plastiquefruit

The issue you’re facing is due to the new builder permissions system. It used to provide a means to allow Cornerstone to edit any CPT, but now it prevents CPT’s that have “exclude_from_search” set to true.

Edit template.php line 61 in the plugin to fix this, but be aware that you are then allowing your global blocks to be searchable on the front end, which is almost never a desired outcome.

1 Like

hey @michaelbourne thanks for the info. I guess I can edit the file on and off when i need to make changes, but lordy that’s a pain. Still better than not being able to edit them at all.

Do you think there will be a fix for this in the future?

I haven’t dug very deep, but I do believe this will require a fix on Themeco’s end of things. Global Blocks are nothing more than a very standard WordPress custom post type. The previous versions of the builder had a filter I could hook in to to add support manually, but the new permissions system did away with that.

I would recommend migrating over to the new Global Blocks though. My plugin has a 1 time conversion function built in to it, found in the settings pages. You will very likely need manual intervention to replace the shortcodes and elements where they were used, however.

@michaelbourne With the migration, will it delete all the old ones or will they still exist so i don’t have weird empty short codes populating my site while I change them?

Hi plastiquefruit,

I am not the developer of the Global Blocks plugin but I think it will leave the empty shortcodes. It is better that you start over the global blocks with the built-in version in the Cornerstone.

We understand that you have some content that is created with the plugin, but having a band-aid solution is not the correct approach to avoid doing over the Global Blocks with the recommended new way which is built-in.

You will need to do global blocks manually with the new system.

Thank you for your understanding.

The conversion function will simply change the post type to the new global blocks, meaning all the blocks you have created will then appear in Themecos global block editor, and will no longer be listed under the old global block posts.

That part is easy, there’s absolutely no need to recreate them.

The hard part is replacing all occurences of the old shortcode or classic element. There are search and replace strings you can test on a backed up database, but more than likely you will need to edit all your pages and delete the old element and drop in a new one.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.