Cornerstone not displaying preview of some pages: error message "the preview was unresponsive after loading"

Hi there,

I’m relatively new to WP and have been able to solve most of my problems myself but the one issue I cannot resolve is the Cornerstone preview not loading only on some of my website’s pages. I was getting the “a conflict on the front end of your site has prevented the preview from loading” error message until I updated Cornerstone to the latest version (2.1.6) a couple of days ago. Now I’m getting “the preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing” error message on the same pages.

I have deactivated all plugins except Cornerstone and reactivated one by one - the issue did not resolve. I’ve cleared all caches and that did nothing. I also tried switching from the child theme of X to the parent theme to rule out a conflict in my customisations and the issue still persists using both Firefox and Chrome. It was initially only an issue with my homepage but it has extended to a few other pages now as I’ve added content. I think I have managed to narrow the cause down to the number of “sections” each page contains. Those pages with 6 or fewer sections still load correctly and I can edit them fine, but all pages with 7 or more sections will not load and I cannot edit any of the content on them. I doubt it, but is there some kind of maximum page size setting I’m missing??

I have been able to continue working on the smaller pages of my site while trying to resolve this but I’m getting to the point where I can’t get much real work done until this is fixed. Please help!

Cheers
Tom

1 Like

Hi There,

Thanks for writing in!
We are really sorry that you are facing such issue. There is no page size limit in cornerstone. Some time due to some external plugin content or creates conflict on page load.

To assist you further in the issue, can you please send us your website details (admin login) in a secure note so that we can have a look. Also please specify the pages you are having the issue.

Thanks

Hi basanta, I sent you a private message with my log in details.

Thanks

Hi Tom,

I’m sorry but I won’t be able to assist you now because I could not open your PM to Basanta. Other support staff won’t be able to see as well.

Please review How To Post A Support Question section in our How to Get Support page.

For now, please try the following solutions:

1. If you’re using a caching plugin, please completely uninstall it. Here’s a guide for W3 Total Cache. For other plugins, please refer to their documentation or contact their support.

2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

3. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

4. Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

If nothing helps, please provide WP Admin and cPanel access in a Secure Note. See the Secure Notes section in our How to Get Support page.

Thanks.

Sorry Christian, I didn’t see the secure note button before. I’ll attach my admin info on a secure note now.

Hello There,

Thanks for providing the information. I was able to log in and investigate the issue. I have updated Cornerstone to the latest version and failed to update X. Could you please manually update X theme since you are in a multi site network? To know how you can manually update X, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62

I wish to investigate further and look for the culprit. It could be a corrupted file or a setting. If you could provide us ftp login details in a secure note, that would greatly help to resolve this issue as soon as we can.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for doing that. I have updated X and WP to the latest versions and all plugins are up to date. The issue is still occurring though, only on the pages of my site that contain 7 or more sections in Cornerstone. The other pages I can edit with no trouble.

FTP details are in the secure note below.

Thanks

Hi There,

I have increased your PHP max execution time through cPanel PHP settings. Now it seems that the Cornerstone is loading (refer secure note). Could you please try testing on your end as well.

Thanks!

Hi there

I logged on and tested all of my pages. The test page you created works fine and loads in the editor and it’s got 14 sections. However, my homepage and one other page will still not load… These are the ones that have been causing the issues. So now I’m thinking this is something to do with those pages and not their size? Could something on those individual pages possibly be corrupted or something? See screenshots in secure note.

Should I try creating new pages, copying the content over and deleting the existing pages to see if that changes anything?

I appreciate all your help thanks again

Hi there,

It’s because of this error ajaxurl is not defined, it’s been there since early versions and mostly due to internal cache. But, the issue that I’m seeing is, it’s very slow. Could you try this https://varvy.com/pagespeed/keep-alive.html first and test it again? Some host may not allow you so you may try reaching them too.

Thanks!

Hi there

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you’re saying - my technical knowledge is still quite limited. So my website is too slow? I don’t really understand any of the enabling keep-alive stuff but I did try testing my site’s speed on that website and didn’t get any results for any pages other than my “coming soon” landing page… What does that mean? Is my host server is too slow to display the pages of my website containing more content? How do we fix this?

Thanks again.

Hi there,

Yes, it’s slow, I’m not saying the entire site is slow. But the communication between ajax requests are too slow, and one thing I noticed is, there is no keep-alive header response from your site which defines the timeout of the connection or requests. So let’s do that first to see if there will be an improvement in preview’s performance. Your hosting provider may able to lend some help setting it up.

Are you on cloud hosting or host with optimization? Is there a way you can clone your site to staging with the different environment from your current one? Just for testing to see what’s really causing this.

Your site is on LiteSpeed web server which indicates that there is a built-in cache. https://www.litespeedtech.com/products/litespeed-web-server. Is there a way we can turn it off too for the sake of testing :slight_smile:

Again, we’re not sure yet why it’s not working on those specific pages. So what I can provide is just recommendation to narrow it down.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.