Cornerstone not displaying again

Hi,

I have created an empty draft page on my site but when I click “edit with cornerstone” I am taken to the cornerstone editor but just see the pulsing cornerstone icon.

I will put login information in a secure note for you.

Kind regards,

Pix

Hello Pix,

Please follow up the steps below:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  3. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  4. Switch to the parent theme to check if the issue persists.
  5. Turn off all the cache plugins(SG Cache).
  6. Make sure that you’re running at least PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any WordPress related incompatibility issues. If you’re not sure what your server configurations and settings are, install a plugin like WP-Serverinfo (https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-serverinfo/) and check your server info by head over to Dashboard -> WP Serverinfo area.
  7. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

Let us know how it goes!

Hi,

I have created a staging copy of the site and have disabled all plugins. When I try to access cornerstone I see what I have included in the secure note. I need to test this on a staging copy as I can’t have the live site not functioning to get this sorted.

Mark

Hi Mark,

You might have to update the URLs of the staging site so to avoid issues. Please install the Better Search Replace plugin then do the following:

search for http://livesite.com and replace it with https://stagingsite.com and
    search for http:\/\/livesite.com and replace it with https:\/\/stagingsite.com

Please replace the URLs accordingly.

I had actually got around it before reading this. Have just updated the setting > general locations to add the staging1 to the url. I can now access cornerstone with the plugins turned off. I am about to test them one by one to find out what the problem is and will get back to you.

Regards,

Pix.

Feel free to let us know how it goes, Pix.

I have discovered that the problem is a plugin called “GS Pinterest Portfolio PRO” which I was trying to use on this page. When enabled the page won’t load, when disabled it does.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for sharing, it could be a conflict and the builder is unable to capture the scripts generated by that plugin. Especially if it’s not implemented through Wordpress standard (enqueue). I recommend deactivating it while you’re doing some editing and activate it once done.

Thanks!

Today I have the same thing, the cornerstone loading symbol just spinning. The plugin that was causing the issue is not active. The only other change since then has been an update to the Yoast plugin, which I have tested disabling and that isn’t the issue.

It is getting rather frustrating that each time I want to use cornerstone that I have to troubleshoot it. Please, can you help me get this sorted.

Edit to add: I have just thought of one other change that was made, I have updated the child theme to the latest version.

Pix.

Hi Pix,

Could you please tell us which pages you’re facing the issues?

I’ve created a test page with Cornerstone and it’s working fine.

Thank you.

HI,

I have just been onto the pages section and tried “edit in cornerstone” on the page you created. This and any other already made page just takes me to the spinning loading graphic.

The page I am trying to work on is the inspirations draft page.

Pix.

I just had a thought that SG optmiser was updated and thought I’d test and see if that was the problem. It turns out that deactivating that means that CS loads. So it appears that Siteground have done something in their optimizer suite which breaks Cornerstone.

Further investigation shows that by switching “Load Render-blocking JavaScript Files Asynchronously” within the SG Optimiser plugin on breaks Cornerstone loading. Having the plugin active and turning this off means that CS loads.

Pix.

Hey Pix,

You should contact SiteGround support to learn how to exclude optimizing all directories starting from the x directory.

That is the default path for the main interface which you could change in X > Settings

Thanks.

Hi! I have essentially the same problem.

I reached out to the excellent team at SiteGround Tech Support.

Here is the relavant section from their reply today to your suggestion as to how we resolve this @cristian_y

That would not be possible within the current version of the SG Optimizer, as in - you cannot specifically choose which folders/files should be skipped from caching/minification. If the Front End Optimisation options are causing issues with your specific theme at the moment, simply disable those.
We will of course check on our end as well, however this is not something that we will be able to immediately do on our end for you as it does require testing by our developers of the extension.

For the present, l have found that this behaviour, that started with the recent version 5.1.1 of SG Optimiser, is mitigated by switching of the “Front End Optimisation” options found in the third tab from the right in the SG Optimiser section of the WP Dashboard.

I have attached a screenshot of this - it works for me.

Thanks and here’s hoping the solution arrives from theme.co in a new SG Optimiser version in the near future…

Hello @Coolcmsc,

There is a known issue with Cornerstone not working great with minifying plugins. The Cornerstone JS and CSS files were already minified. Having to minify it again seems to have an issue. The best solution is there for now is to turn off any minification or even the caching plugins while you are building or creating the pages. Caching and minification plugins are best to turn on when you are done with the site and ready to go live.

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.