Cornerstone fails to open to edit a page

I’m using the most current versions of everything.

I built a site two years ago using Cornerstone. Now when I want to create a new page, and then click on the Cornerstone tab, and then on the large Cornerstone image in the edit page area, it asks me if I want to leave the site and lose whatever I haven’t saved.

In other words, it dies.

Please advise if this is a common issue or not and what I need to do.

Thank you.

Hi There @LarryMac

Thanks for writing in! I am sorry to hear that you’re having this issue. Could you please try the solutions below and see if that helps.

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. Go to X > Settings and click on the Clear Style Cache button.
  3. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  4. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  5. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the Theme Options or Child Theme and test the case.
  6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

If you still have problems kindly get back to us with the result of the steps above and URL/User/Pass of your WordPress dashboard using the Secure Note functionality of the post to follow up the case.

Thank you.

Thank you for your reply and list of standard suggestions, which require significant time and expertise to implement.

I am very unhappy with this issue because I have at least a dozen X Theme sites.

Here is why: In sites that I have made zero changes to in the last year Cornerstone no longer functions properly. It doesn’t allow creating new pages with Cornerstone.

I don’t have a lot of strange plugins…just the standards. And if they were working before, they should be working now.

So while the plugins were being updated, something must have happened with Cornerstone’s updates to cause this issue, or at least contribute.

I can’t believe that you are unable to determine the issue. It makes me feel that using X Theme and your other themes may be a risk I don’t want to take in the future.

Do you have a list of Plugins that have caused issues with others? If so, please post it. I will send you login info so you can take a look yourself in the hopes that you will find and share the issue solution with other faithful users.

Hello @LarryMac,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Reason why @mldarshana shared above solutions is because you told us about the problem you are facing. Now, we don’t have access to your website so it’s a bit difficult for us to pinpoint the root cause of the problem without actually taking a look into the website. That’s the reason why my colleague shared those solutions for you to try out. Most of the cases, it’s plugin conflict, incompatible version of X or Cornerstone, low memory limit and other issues that causes the problem.

I tried to open your website and I am getting following error message. Please let us know when the website is functioning and we will take a closer look.

kidsteachingkids.org took too long to respond.
Search Google for kids teaching org admin
ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT

Thanks.

Thanks. Did you try the login in the secure note, above?

Hi Larry,

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for the credentials, yes I was able to log in on the site but I was not able to replicate the issue, I can open a new page or an existing page on Cornerstone (see screenshots below). With this, we knew that X and Cornerstone are working just fine on your site.

Would you mind providing us a screenshot of that dialog? I did not encounter it when I tested to create a new page and open it on Cornerstone. Please clarify how we can replicate this issue. Or is this happening only to a specific page? Which page?

I notice your site is under CloudFlare, please directly login to your CloudFlare’s dashboard and do the following:

Exclude the Theme Options and Cornerstone builder from being cache by using this pattern *myurl.com/x/* follow this article on how you can add a page rule (exclude) on your CloudFlare account.

Next disable the CloudFlare’s JS and CSS minification option, read this article., X theme’s JS and CSS files are already minified so you don’t need this feature.

Lastly and most importantly purge everything from the cache, also clear your browser’s cache to make sure that there is no cache involves when you load your pages.

Let us know how it goes,
Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.