Cornerstone failed to install with the last update

The homepage is broken but the rest of the site appears to be ok. When I click on validate, I get this message: “We attempted to installed Cornerstone (required by X) automatically, but were unable to. You may need to install Cornerstone manually” unfortunately the link doesn’t work. Here is the link to the site: https://robtlalonde.com/

How do I install cornerstone manually?

Thank you,

Hello @Option1,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

There might be issue of file permission and that’s the reason why Cornerstone packages are not downloading and installing automatically. To install Cornerstone manually, please walkthrough following steps:

1. Download Cornerstone using the URL shared in secure note and extract the zip file.
  2. Using FTP software like Filezilla navigate under /wp-content/plugins/ folder.
  3. Upload the extracted Cornerstone folder.

Here’s a tutorial to get started with Filezilla.

I also suggest you to take a look at following article on correct and recommended file permissions.

https://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

Thanks.

Thanks, I will try that. Cornerstone has been updating just fine at least a dozen times since I’ve installed the theme - it’s just the last update that didn’t work. Where is the link to the file?

Hello @Option1,

Please use following URL to download Cornerstone zip file.

Thanks.

Just uploaded these new files and it made no difference. The error message says the update failed because the directory already existed?? I have contacted my webhosting company to see if they can see what the problem is… but this sucks - the theme should be able to update itself without breaking.

Hi There,

I guess it’s the permission issue. Please make sure the permission of wp-content folder is 755.

For more information, please take a look at this:

Let us know how it goes!

All the files in wp-content were set to 0755 except for index.php which was 0644. I changed it to 0755 it makes no difference.
I will say again, I made no changes to the setup. I contacted my webhosting company and they say the Lite Speed cache plugin is already disabled. I have another site running on Avada theme in the same account and it is running fine.
Why do you release updates when they are not ready! If it doesn’t install correctly, it should revert to what was there. I’m supposed to hire someone now to fix this mess?

Hi There @Option1

Sorry for the inconvenience caused. Could you please try enabling your WP_DEBUG mode on your WordPress by following this guide (https://codex.wordpress.org/WP_DEBUG) and see if you’re getting any PHP errors when activating Cornerstone plugin.

Also check the PHP version running on your server and make sure to use PHP v5.6.x or later to avoid any incompatibility issues. You can also disable your 3rd party plugins while you’re testing this issue.

If you’re still having issues, provide us with your WordPress login credentials along with your FTP credentials in a secure note to investigate this issue further.

Thanks!

I have enabled wp-debug in my .php file - I’m afraid it is over my head looking for php errors.

I checked and I am currently running PHP v5.6 I have deactivated all the plugins that were running and tried to activate cornerstone - no luck

Sorry for the confusion. What the “directory already existed” message means is that the plugin still exists in the plugins folder.

Please login to your server and go to wp-content/plugins and delete the Cornerstone folder. After that, go to WP Admin > X and X will install the compatible Cornerstone version automatically.

If that issue persists after that, please also provide FTP access.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.