Cornerstone editing not possible anymore

I have a fresh install of Wordpress and X-Theme and no plugins.
Cornerstone comes up with the error when loading front-end for editing:

“The preview was unresponsive after loading. This is most often related to a plugin conflict or aggressive page cacheing”

Firefox console returns this:

GET http://www.vanessajtucker.co.uk/wyt-the-third/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/assets/dist-app/css/cs.css.map [HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found 14918ms]

I cleared the browser cache and still no joy.
What else can I look into?

Thank you in advance.

1 Like

Hi there,

Thanks for posting in.

What browser you’re testing it with? I checked it in all my browser and the builder loads okay and I’m able to edit the page without that error.

Thanks!

Thank you for having a look at the site.
I am using an up to date Firefox without extensions.
It works intermittently, this morning it wouldn’t work and just now I accessed the builder and used it without any issues on the particular problem page. After trying a different page it is now again not coming up properly: only head and footer showing and page not editable. I have grabbed lots of error messages from the console. Not sure how to send you the screen images.

Hi there,

Unfortunately, I could not recreate the problem you explained in your last message. Would you please kindly use the Google Chrome browser to access the builder while working?

That might be the safest browser to work on. As you have mentioned this seems to be intermittent and we can not recreate the problem to be able to help you around.

Thank you for your understanding.

I started working with safari, all was well but soon the builder played up. Here are some errors I get

And here is the builder only half loaded-header and footer only showing.

And here errors on firefox

What’s going on?

I am working on a new project that’s now halted with these cornerstone issues. It would be nice to have this fixed. A quicker response to this message would also be apreciated it started 2 days ago. Thanks.

I’ll try it on Chrome and let you know.

From Chrome I can’t access the builder fully - preview shows again only header and footer.
Chrome’s codes are here, can you make any sense of them?

and the bottom shows

Hi,

I have tried on two different computers and three different browsers and Cornerstone loads fine each time.

It’s pretty fast as well. See Video - https://www.screencast.com/t/cJ7et632

I also checked the console and there were no errors.

This issue could be due to your internet connection speed.

Can you try it on a friend’s computer.

Thanks

Hi, just wanted to say I had the same issue with the error message as well as only header and footer loading at times. As you can see from my thread here https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/cornerstone-error-a-conflict-on-front-end-of-your-site/14112/20 they will deny that the cornerstone update is causing the issue and will try to find other things to blame. I had to rollback to the last working versions of cornerstone (2.0.6) and x theme (5.1.1) and all is fine now, so the issue lies with the cornerstone update, not your browser or internet speed. I know using old versions is not recommended by themeco because it is not secure, but I had no other choice and needed to be able to edit and work on my website.

1 Like

Hi @mchll9898,

I replied to your thread and I’ll continue checking, but since we can’t check as you rolled it out and there is not even separate staging to test it then I can’ guarantee if I can find something. Though, I’ll look for a site’s with a similar setup as yours.

Thanks!

I also got the
Xfr request made by preview timed out
message and couldn’t edit the content.
One or all of your recent updates caused this issue.
I solved this problem by blocking some external scripts (e.g. facebook, zoho,…) while editing the page with the cornerstone editor (with firefox’s uMatrix addon).

Thanks for sharing, @philipp_halla.

@manomano11 and @mchll9898, time out issues are mostly caused by third party scripts running along side the theme’s, Cornerstone’s and WordPress’ scripts. If your server, computer, internet connection or anything involved in the network can’t handle the request, it will throw out that error. What causes this specifically? I could not say because there are lots of factors you should take into account. For us support, we need to drill down between your host and X / Cornerstone first because there are host that have really slow servers and that causes issues.

@manomano11, since you said your setup is bare bones (fresh install and no plugins), you could first try contacting your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

Also contact your host to increase the max execution time to the highest possible value.

If it still doesn’t help, please test other web hosts. Some of them offer free trial or money back guarantee so you could test what works. You don’t need to move your site for testing. You can use a free domain like dot tk.

If you want a detailed guide on web hosts, please see this article from X Theme Tips.

Thanks.

Thank you for your advice.

First I’d like to say to @mchll9898 that it would be easy for me to join you and say that X-Theme are a bunch of blah blah blah… etc although up till now I have found them very professional in their dealing with my issue. They looked into my website build closely and advised me to the best of their ability. They know what they are doing. I believe they come from a place of integrity. If they didn’t they wouldn’t be in this business and probably be hacking all over the place like so many do unfortunately. They are good guys in my view.

To try resolve my issue I made sure all the minimum requirements such as php memory limit were right, execution time as well as php version.

And then after a few days of observing Cornerstone behavior on my machine I’ve come to realise that the reason for my issue was my internet speed. I am traveling in India and I am at present relying on data from two sim cards. When the download speed falls under 1MB/S Cornerstone builder struggles with opening up and saving.

So there we have it, monitoring my internet speed closely was necessary to resolve this, hence I think the Xfr time out message I was getting.

Many thanks to X team for your support.

Glad this is now sorted out.

You’re always welcome and thank you also!

Cheers.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.