Cornerstone Editing funcitons not working

sorry for a loss of some formatting in the following …

please provide whatever guidance you can … thanks in advance …

When editing with cornerstone, the working document/page does not display correctly for either structure, though I may add several Sections only one appears, nor to content, when I add either text or image they don’t appear. The added text does/did show up when viewing the page on line, but not in the cornerstone editor … I am quite a neophyte in all this but was successfully managing my pages easily through mid 2017. I had no updates since then, so these problems arose in last week after updating and then trying to add new pages. Per looking around the support pages for several days now, I’ve found a number of items that I’ve tried to conform with and others that I still have questions about …

Quite frankly, I can’t shake the feeling but that I’m looking at what I’m calling the Nuclear Option … In one forum a user wrote … “I have resolved the issue. I deleted all previous themes and plugins and re-installed X-Theme and everything is working well now.” But that sounds scary to me!!

First: the only error message I’ve seen was found on a blog post page that I’ve never really used.
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /home/ranroe/roeingresearchandtrading.com/wp-includes/media.php on line 1206
But I don’t even see the file on the host server …

server screen save image is lost here …

Outstanding Issues/Questions …

Regarding Caches, note that I deleted my web browser cache and DNS cache …

Also if you have any cache plugins (not sure if I do) make sure to flush the cache (If I do have cache plugins how would I flush them)

Can you disable all caching (just what caches are there: web, DNS, plugins, ???) and CDN (?) on the website please and then re-load (force refresh the site)(??)

and contact your host to clear caching on their side also or ask them to teach you how to clear cache in your site. Deleted DNS cache and inquired as to any other in existence

Don’t know what it means to Delete transients

I increased memory limit (see below) but not MAX memory limit … I can do, but quite frankly I’m such a small user hard to believe memory is the issue, but …

Core Actions with some questions …

Wordpress 4.9.4 … reinstalled it …
Xtheme 5.2.5
MySQL was already at 5.6.34
I updated to PHP 7.2

I’ve been using the appropriate sequence of Add New, Add Title, Save draft or publish … no help

I tried deactivating all plugins except Cornerstone to no avail …

Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates. Don’t believe I’m using any…

Regarding php memory, support said: Contact your host to increase your allocated memory or do it yourself by adding this code in your wp-config.php
define( ‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’ );
define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );
Per dreamhost’s instructions for increasing memory I changed memory limit to 256; note: dreamhost says it is not the wp-config.php file but the phprc file that needs tweaking …
https://help.dreamhost.com/hc/en-us/articles/214894037-How-do-I-create-a-phprc-file-via-FTP-
this is my phprc file:
; {{{ The following lines were automatically added by DreamHost
zend_extension=opcache.so
; }}} That’s all from DreamHost
memory_limit = 256M

PLUGINS …
Per your approval list at: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

Contact Form 7: | Latest Supported Version: 5.0
Cornerstone: | Latest Supported Version: 2.1.7

X – Content Dock Ver 1.0.0 changed to Content Dock Ver 2.03
X – Custom 404 Ver 1.1.1 changed to Custom 404 Ver 2.03
X – Smooth Scroll Ver 1.0.2 changed to Smooth Scroll Ver 2.03

Question here is does it matter that the updated plugins don’t show up with the precursor “X – ”

Didn’t see either of these on your approval list so hot sure of conformity:

Subscribe Button by AddToAny Version .9.10.0, nor …

X – Email Forms (MailChimp) Ver 1.1.2
But should it be updated with this http://demo.theme.co/email-forms/
Or should I just deactivate X- Email Forms (MailChimp) and activate this listing, but not sure it does the same thing as X – Email Forms (MailChimp)

Caches:
As mentioned in the questions area, there may be other caches that I don’t understand …
I deleted web browser cache …
I deleted DNS cache via these instructions:

1. Click the Windows logo while holding the R key at the same time.
    The run box appears.
  2. In the run box, type cmd and then hit the ‘Enter’ key.
  3. In the command prompt that pops up, enter:
    C:\Users\username> ipconfig /flushdns
    The command runs and returns to the prompt.
  4. Type exit, and then press the ‘Enter’ key to close the window.

Hi There,

Thank you for writing in, but it seems you’ve gone too far and your post becomes very confusing, I’m not sure what you did and what is not.

Please do this instead, clarify the issue briefly, provide us steps how we can see/encounter the issue (screenshots would be helpful), and then provide us login credentials in a secure note (wp-admin and FTP) so we can take a closer look.

Cheers!

Ok … i’ll pull something together and send secure note. But basically cannot edit a new page; just can not create a new one. I’ve tried to diligently “do” everything that I’ve found in various posts (from increasing memory and clearing caches to proper page-creation steps to upgrading to latest plugin versions, etc.) and there are some issues I don’t yet fully understand.

Yet still not able to create new pages …

i’ll pull together a secure note,
Thanks

Hi there,

Thank you for the complete information regarding the case. Unfortunately, the given URL/user/Pass for the WordPress admin is not working for us. Would you please double check the case and give us the correct information?

Meanwhile, as I do not have access to the website to do more investigation and as I already know that you did some of the steps below I will add them to make sure you checked all cases which are common:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  4. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  5. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  6. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

Thank you.

Thanks …

First, not sure what has happened at WordPress; I can’t even log in, so will run that problem down and then reactivate this thread …

Generally, regarding the six points, I’ve responded with what I know. I have finished #5 and #6 but have questions on the others.

BUT would you look to see what questions/issues can be answered and specifically look at #6 and let me know if those settings will be ok?

Obviously we need to await WordPress access problem, but perhaps we can move this along in the meantime …

Thanks again,
Randy

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
    I was able to ensure compatibility with these two exceptions I mentioned: I need your guidance as to their compatibility.
    Subscribe Button by AddToAny Version .9.10.0
    X – Email Forms (MailChimp) Ver 1.1.2

2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
    I’d previously mentioned that I don’t know if I’m using CDN; is there anyway to can help me determine this?

3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
    As mentioned, I deactivated all plugins EXCEPT Cornerstone … do I need to deactivate that as well?

4. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
    I don’t believe I’m using any CSS and javascript … I found the CSS too complicated for me so never embraced and from what I understand of javascript I’m not using it either.

5. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
    DONE …

6. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.
    DONE …

This was very confusing for me, but I am gaining some clarity …

This was added to my wp-config.php file …
/** my increasing memory limits */
define(‘WP_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘256M’);
define( ‘WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT’, ‘512M’ );

Hi There,

Yes, that is correct, add that lines on wp-config.php file, right before the line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

If the Cornerstone issue persists, after you’ve resolved your Wordpress issue. Please provide us login credentials so we can take a closer look.

Cheers!

Perhaps you can help me out with this WordPress thing. I can sign in to what I think is referred to as my Administration Screen at http://www.roeingresearchandtrading.com/wp-login.php … but I cannot sign in at www.wordpress.org (which was the link I’d sent) to get at the user forums … does this difference matter to you? I’d add the login information right here but not sure we’re still in a secure setting. username and password are as sent previously.

thanks again,
Randy

Hi Randy,

Sorry, but I’m not entirely certain of your issue with https://wordpress.org/ that is the WordPress website and we have nothing to do with it. Please clarify what you’re trying to do on https://wordpress.org/ website so we can understand the issue better.

And please do your reply on a new thread, so your original issue (Cornerstone not working) won’t be drift off.

Thank you,

I understand you have nothing to do with WordPress.org … You had requested log in information from me that I sent you. The information I sent you was for WordPress.org (my mistake perhaps). But I’d sent you this log in information to WordPress.org “thinking” it was the access you needed and you couldn’t log in,.

So when you say you need access, do you need access to my Administration Screen where this log in information works? … IF so then we should be go to move forward with your accessing my site and trying to fix this Cornerstone problem.

And I’m not sure what you mean when saying, “please do your reply on a new thread, so your original issue (Cornerstone not working) won’t be drift off.” Does that mean I should click on the “inline reply” button as I’ve done here?

Hi There,

We only ask for login credentials (if we need to) to see the issue first hand and investigate it, so yeah we need to login to your site’s admin dashboard (Administration Screen).

Sorry for the confusion, to be clear what I mean by that is one thread for one issue, so the answers won’t mix up that makes the thread very confusing.

Regarding the Cornerstone issue, though I was able to create a new page (http://www.roeingresearchandtrading.com/test-page/) in Cornerstone, I’m seeing the error that you mentioned above. That is actually a bug with PHP version 7.2, but that has been committed by our Dev Team as fixed on the next release (regretfully we can’t provide an ETA of the next release).

For now, you can either downgrade your PHP version to 7.0 or wait for the next update. Please contact your hosting support on how you can change the PHP version to 7.0.

Cheers!

Well … i’d upgraded to PHP 7.2 per a help forum so I know it wasn’t working before that … So after downgrading to PHP 7.0 it still doesn’t work …

any other ideas?

thanks again …

Hey @RRandallR,

I created a test page in your site (see Secure Note) and I didn’t experience any issue.

Maybe the problem is in your browser. Have you tried testing in incognito mode? If you have browser extensions, please disable them temporarily to see if they cause issues.

Thanks.

Thanks Christian … first positive step …

I don’t know what incognito mode is, nor do I know what browser extensions are …

I will go off and try and learn about them, but if you can point me to any learning tools that would be great …

After I’ve gone through my ‘learning process’ i’ll get back to you …

Randy

Well … those were easy … no improvement in incognito mode and I don’t have any browser extensions …

any other thoughts?

fyi, when I loaded your test page the content didn’t load; the four Sections were there but there were this little spinners that just kept spinning. not sure if that helps in diagnosing …

Thanks, Randy

Hi Randy,

Sorry but that is not the case on our end, see the screencast below on how responsive your Cornerstone on our end.

I don’t see the fatal error anymore that I mentioned in my previous reply, so it seems downgrading to PHP 7.0 helps.

What browser you’re using? Can you try a new browser either the latest version of Chrome or Firefox.

Thanks,

thanks … i’m using, and have been using, Microsoft Edge … I’ll try another and let you know how it goes …

but i’m encouraged that it works on your end … thanks

Randy

Yes, let us know how it goes. Actually, I suggest Chrome because that will be the browser that your page will be viewed most.

Browser Market Share Worldwide

Cheers!

Good grief … as simple as Chrome!! … been going through circles for two weeks (not all lost as learned a few things) BUT it was a simple as changing browsers … At least it seems to be working :slight_smile: … i’ll surely let you know IF otherwise …

Randy

We are delighted to assist you with this.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.