Cornerstone causes 404 error with Appearance/Menu

With the latest update to X suddenly we can’t access Appearance/Menu with Cornerstone active. It yields a 404 error. If we disable Cornerstone, the 404 goes away. This is new, as it worked fine for several years.

Latest version of X, only Cornerstone and Akismet active.

If I change themes to Twenty Fifteen (current) the issue persists until I deactivate Cornerstone. So apparently it’s a Cornerstone plugin issue, not with X itself.

This is on shared hosting. I found a suggested solution that indicated I should request the suhosin.post.max_vars and suhosin.request.max_vars values be increased to 5000, which I did, but the host company would only increase it to 3000.

Hello @turfnet,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please try resetting permalinks from Settings > Permalinks > Click Save Changes. Next, try deleting Cornerstone from Plugins > Installed Plugins. After that, visit X > Overview and Cornerstone should get automatically installed. See if that resolves the problem you are facing. In case issue still persists, please share your login details along with website URL in a secure note.

Thanks.

Hello There,

I have logged in and I can confirm that when you deactivate all plugins, Appearance > Menu s accessible. If you activate two or more plugins, you can no longer visit the menus in the dashboard. You are suffering memory limit exhaustion. ​We recommend that you increase your memory allocated to PHP. To increase it, please edit your wp-config.php file and insert these lines:

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

You can add it before the line
/*That's all, stop editing! Happy Blogging. */

We would loved to know if this has work for you. Thank you.

I’m afraid those lines were already in my wp-config.ini file, so I guess I’ll have to get with my hosting provider.

Thank you.

Hello There,

Please also ask your hosting provider for the error logs. The error log should be able to tell us why it happened or displayed error 404.

Please let us know how it goes.

Response from our hosting provider:

“We were unable to replicate the specific issue that is being referred to, as we were unable to find any evidence of a PHP memory limit being hit.”

I went back in and was able to activate 4 or 5 plugins (NOT Cornerstone) without throwing the 404. Deactivate them all so NOTHING is active, then activate Cornerstone and it throws the 404 when attempting Appearance/Menus from the dashboard.

This is actually a very simple site that really doesn’t require much of the functionality of X. It worked fine for several years until recently. I can’t imagine much in the way of resources are being used, and it gets very low traffic.

Hi,

In that case, please provide FTP Login in Secure Note so we can further check on this.

Thanks

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.