Cornerstone buggy in v3

Hi there,

I’m using Cornerstone 3.03 and X 6.0.3, and I’m having some issues with laying out Sections in Cornerstone. When I try to edit pages I’ve constructed in earlier, the background colors for sections is not appearining in the editor. I can change the background color, and when the page is saved and rendered, I can see the change. But the change never appears “live” like it used to before the latest version update. I can also not see the background color displayed for section separators - they along with the section background appear as just white on white. This makes it difficult if not impossible to adjust in the Cornerstone editor.

Also broken for Sections is the realtime refresh and display of margins. The results of a margin setting are not being displayed in the Cornerstone preview render window, nor are they being rendered when the page renders outside of Cornerstone.

These things were working correctly before this latest update. I’ve fully cleared my caches and done a control-shift-R in my browser, and also tried this in several browsers - the results are always the same.

Please advise.

Thanks,
D.

UPDATE, 2 hours later - upgraded to 3.04 and 6.0.4. Cleared all caches again, and now I seem to be able to change background colors and margins for Sections created on a new test page, but still am seeing no change to background colors or margins on Sections created in previous versions of X/CS.

Hi @Acumed

Would you mind providing us with login credentials so we can take a closer look? Please provide following information:

Set it as Secure Note

• Link to your site
  • WordPress Admin username / password
  • FTP credentials

All the best!

Hi Alexander,

This is a dev site, and as such it is IP restricted. Can you provide me with an IP range for yourselves so that I can add it to the whitelist? Otherwise you will be denied access.

Would it be possible to disable that temporarily, at least until we get this worked out? There isn’t a consistent IP address range we can provide.

Hi there,

Thank you for the information. We will wait till Monday. Please get back to us as soon as you managed to remove the restriction.

Meanwhile, I suggest that you follow the steps below to make sure the common troubleshooting steps are taken care of:

1. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list here. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. Click here for more information.
  2. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.
  3. Test for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third-party plugins, and see if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.
  4. Remove custom CSS and Javascript from the options or Child Theme and test the case.
  5. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.
  6. Increase the PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

Also, prepare a test page for us so that we can see the problem. Tell us exactly which test page to check and follow up.

Thank you.

Hello,

Using your idea to create a test page, I went through a few troubleshooting/testing steps myself this morning to see if I could find a common element to the issue I first mentioned. I think I found the problem, and it’s a VERY specific set of conditions that is causing this error to happen.

1. First, I looked at some other pages on my site that are NOT having this issue, and I narrowed it down to a selection of pages that are all very similar in structure and design. None of the other pages that have a different structure or design are having this issue.

2. I made a copy of an example page that has this issue, and I started whittling away at the content of it, seeing if perhaps one of the cornerstone elements was causing the problem. I kept deleting and deleting until just the sections themselves remained, with no actual content within them, and the problem persisted.

3. I then took a look at the SECTIONS themselves, to see if I could find something about them that is unique, that might be causing the problem. After all, ALL of my other page use Sections, and they weren’t having this problem.

4. I then noticed that many sections on the pages that are having the problem use the “section top separator” and “section bottom separator” styling. So I turned off both styling features for all sections and… voila! That solved the issue. The sections now appeared with their specified background colors, and the top and bottom margins I had set rendered correctly in the preview pane. I tried turning them back on again, and the issue came right back.

5. I noticed at this point, that when I turned the “Section Bottom Separator” on, this is where the problem is. You can tell, because that’s when a little red icon in the lower-right of the preview pane appears and will spin forever until the “section bottom separator” is turned back off again.

6. The problem is super-specific. It only occurs with the “Section Bottom Separator”, and only when it’s set to “Angle Out” (I also have it set to “angle point:50” and “height:60px”, although these settings dont seem to affect this issue).

7. I then created an entirely new test page, with only one section on it, with a simple text element inside it, and a background color of grey. And just as anticipated, all works fine until I turn the Section Bottom Separator on and set it to Angle Out. Then the spinning red icon appear, the bottom separator is not rendered, and all further styling to the section is stuck.

So I think this should be easily re-creatable on your side. If not, let me know. It seems like a trivial issue, I realize, but I use this feature on many of my most important pages, and not having it work is a deal-breaker.

Thank you for looking into this, and your excellent, responsive support!

Cheers,
D.

Hey David,

Thank you for the detailed test. I have replicated the issue in my test site so I’ll post this to our issue tracker. Please stay tuned for the fix.

Thanks.

Hi Christian,

Thank you. And I’m glad you were able to replicate the bug. Very much looking forward to getting a fix, and being able to use Cornerstone to edit my entire site again.

Cheers,
D.

You’re welcome! :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.