Cornerstone breaks website on BlueHost VPS

Hello! I am using X for a site I am building on my client’s Blue Host VPS hosting package. For some reason, whenever Cornerstone is active, the site breaks, giving the white screen of death. If I shut Cornerstone off, everything starts working again, so I have to conclude there is an issue with CS. I’ve tried reinstalling Wordpress, reinstalling X-Theme, completely deleting the entire installation, database, etc, and starting over, but to no avail. I wound up building the site (working perfectly) on my hosting reseller account with HostGator and having no problems. Is there a known issue with BlueHost or perhaps VPS packages that I need to reconfigure to make Cornerstone work?

Hello @JonesHouseCreative,

Thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

Please try following general solution:

1. Please make sure that you are running PHP 7 or later on the server as running old version of PHP can have potential issues. You can refer following document for server requirement https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/1

2. Ensure everything is up to date according to our version compatibility list at https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195. Please follow the best practices when updating your theme and plugins. See https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62 for more details.

3. Clear all caches including browser cache then deactivate your caching plugins and other optimization plugins.

4. If you’re using a CDN, please clear the CDN’s cache and disable optimization services.

5. Remove custom CSS, Javascript and templates.

6. Reset your htaccess file by renaming it to .htaccess-bak. Then in WP Admin Menu, go to Settings > Permalinks and just click the Save Changes button.

If nothing helps, please give us WP Admin and FTP access in a Secure Note.

Thanks.

Thanks for your feedback. I’ll work on these items.

Hi there,

I have re-installed your X theme & Cornerstone but it did not resolve the issue. Upon investigating this issue further, I see the following error when editing with Cornerstone.

http://96.125.170.118/~inhisin1/cornerstone-endpoint
[HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error 1202ms]

Which means you need to check your server configurations and error logs to determine this issue. Start from increasing your PHP memory limit.

Thanks!

Here is the content of the error logs. Can you please help me understand the issue?

[20-Feb-2018 19:31:51 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/inhisin1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/classes/classic/elements/class-element-base.php on line 197
[20-Feb-2018 22:06:03 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/inhisin1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/vendor/coalescence/class-expression.php on line 411
[20-Feb-2018 22:07:04 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/inhisin1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/vendor/coalescence/class-expression.php on line 411
[20-Feb-2018 22:18:35 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/inhisin1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/vendor/coalescence/class-expression.php on line 408
[20-Feb-2018 22:18:50 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/inhisin1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/vendor/coalescence/class-condition.php on line 62
[20-Feb-2018 22:19:22 UTC] PHP Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 41943040 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 72 bytes) in /home/inhisin1/public_html/wp-content/plugins/cornerstone/includes/vendor/coalescence/class-expression.php on line 408

Hi,

It means you need to increase your memory limit.

I went ahead and increase it by adding the code below in your wp-config.php file.

define( 'WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M' );
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.