Content Views Pro news feed won't update with Cornerstone activated

One of my customers has the following issue, traced to Cornerstone:

• We have post feeds using Content Views Pro.
  • When updating the content of a single post, the changes are of course shown in the single view of the post.
  • But, the content update in the post is NOT shown in the excerpt in post feed. In the feed, the previous version of the post is shown. Looks like some kind of caching.

I tried to deactivate all plugins and found that this behavior only occurs when Cornerstone is active. When deactivating Cornerstone, everything works fine. The customer does not use Cornerstone, but deactivating Cornerstone impacts other parts of the site, e.g. drop down menu, mobile menu, …

Does anyone have an idea?

Kind regards
Andreas

Hello Andreas,

Thanks for writing in!

Please go to X > Status and then find the “Clear Style Cache” button. If nothing is helping, provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Best Regards.

Hi! That did not help. I will provide login credentials.

Hey Andreas,

It looks like there’s a conflict between Content Views Pro and Cornerstone. For cases like this where a premium plugin is used, we recommend for the live site to be copied over to a staging server so that our development team could investigate once this case goes on top of the queue in our issue tracker.

Because of the differences in systems, please note that we can’t guarantee support for Content Views plugin moreover that in the future, we will have our own Layout Builder which will allow you to create custom single post and archive pages.

While waiting for you to set up a staging site, I’ll post this in our issue tracker. After you’ve finished copying your live site to staging, give us staging WordPress Admin and FTP login details.

Thanks.

Hi Andreas,

Would you mind providing your FTP login credentials as well? I like to see how the content views pull its excerpt.

Cornerstone saves its excerpt in _cornerstone_excerpt, that is if you created your post in cornerstone builder. It will remain empty if your post is not created within cornerstone. Hence, if there is a conflict where cornerstone overrides it, you should see it empty instead of that.

I don’t see this happening on other plugins like essential grid, or any plugin that uses standard WordPress excerpt.

But there was recent fix related to excerpt in our unreleased version. It will be available on next update, I like to see if this issue is going to be fixed as well so I like to test it directly from your site. Please provide your FTP login credentials as requested :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi!

Here are the FTP credentials to the live site.

// Andreas

It would be great if you could find a solution checking the live site, but send me a messegae here if a staging site is really needed.

Hi Adreas,

Yes, staging would be helpful as well as we can use it for comparison too in case it’s specific to a setup. Looking forward to the requested credentials. I’ll continue checking with the FTP

Thanks!

Hi Andreas,

Done troubleshooting :slight_smile: , it’s due to Content View’s integration to Cornerstone and it’s something we can’t fix on our end since the culprit is within their plugin. To explain it further, please navigate to this file on your site

\wp-content\plugins\content-views-query-and-display-post-page\includes\compatibility.php

You’ll see at around line 98 a block of code that is causing this conflict,

So when the cornerstone is active, it then generates the cache and pull from the cache. So when cornerstone is inactive, that code integration is inactive as well.

I recommend contacting the plugin author for this issue, you’ll also notice that if you add a change on a post, it will appear next week since the cache expires, but the cycle continues. In the next Pro/X/Cornerstone update, it will be okay and recommended to use get_the_excerpt() as Wordpress standard for getting excerpts without a need for more compatibility integration similar to that code.

Thanks!

Hi Andreas and Rad,

I’ve been following this thread because I’ve had similar problems with Cornerstone and Content Views, involving both the cache issue and a separate issue involving “read-more” breaks. I’m not sure it will help, but the support team at Content Views recommended a fix that helped solve my “read-more” problem and could help with the cache issue because it seems to involve the same lines of code. The X thread on my issue is here:

The code that Content Views had me add to functions.php is as follows:
// Content Views - remove functions which get content from Cornerstone
remove_filter( ‘the_content’, ‘cv_comp_plugin_cornerstone_single’, PHP_INT_MAX );
remove_filter( ‘pt_cv_field_content_excerpt’, ‘cv_comp_plugin_cornerstone_core’, 9, 3 );
remove_filter( ‘pt_cv_field_content_full’, ‘cv_comp_plugin_cornerstone_core’, 9, 3 );

Perhaps this code or something like it will help Andreas. Good luck.

Hi Steve,

Yes, it is indeed causing multiple issues, it’s okay to implement a caching feature but it should be cleared upon saving which Content Views didn’t have. That code should fix it, but it will no longer needed for the upcoming updates as texts are now visible from Wordpress’ excerpt generation, that fixes all issues related to text visibilities such as SEO, excerpts, search, special characters. And content views integration to excerpt like the above should be removed, or just replace it with get_the_excerpt() instead.

And thanks for sharing.

Cheers!

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.