Confused about updates, license, & Pro

Greetings.

I have X theme installed.

Version: 4.1.1

My website’s plugin page says Cornerstone needs to be updated but
“Automatic update is unavailable for this plugin.”

I haven’t been using Cornerstone at all.
Tried it a while back but it didn’t seem to work properly.
Can’t remember what the problem was exactly.

I went to: https://theme.co/apex/licenses
where I logged in and saw the green button that says: “Go Pro: Free”.

Clicked on it then clicked another link which took me to:

There, I found this note:

Before You Update to Pro

… If you aren’t upgrading from X 4.6.4, you should first update to the latest version of X and then proceed to update to Pro.

So it seems my version of X is way out of date!

Question: Do I need to update it?

Question: If I do need to update it, how do I do that?

Question: How does it happen that I’m so out-of-date?
I’m sure I’ve been running all the updates my Wordpress site wants me to run.
Very confused about all of this.

I would be grateful for some guidance and advice.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Prodos
Melbourne, Australia

Hi @prodos,

Thanks for reaching out.

Yes, you need to update it to latest X first.

And since you need to update it, you must clone your site first into staging and do the update there. And then fix every issue you’ll see, but of course, we may able to guide to one at a time. Don’t perform the update on a live site as it can put your site down especially if you’re coming from the very old version (where there is a big feature gap between the latest version).

You have to update it from time to time as looks like you forgot to do it starting from that version. Automatic update will not update it automatically but the system will just do it for you as per your consent (clicking update). You have to initiate the update process and the system will do the rest.

And with 4.6.4, you’ll have to do it as a manual update. Please check this https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/setup-updating-your-themes-and-plugins/62.

Thanks!

1 Like

Greetings Rad,

You wrote: “Automatic update doesn’t mean the system will update it for you without your consent. You have to initiate the update process and the system will do the rest.”

But I run all updates that my “automatic updates” indicates need to be run.

Doesn’t that mean I should now be up to the latest version of X?

There is no indication within my Wordpress Dashboard that my “Version 4.1.1” needs to be updated.

The only thing that my Dashboard says needs updating is Cornerstone.
But, as already mentioned, it also says: “Automatic update is unavailable for this plugin.”

I’m sorry but I seem to be going round and round and round in circles.

I have no idea what to do next to get this issue resolved. Truly frustrating.

You wrote: “you must clone your site into staging first and do the update there”

I don’t know what cloning a site is or how to do it.

Are you saying that if and when I update to 4.6.4 that this process will also include an update to Cornerstone?

So confusing.

Anyway, I await your advice.

Thanks.

Update: One more unrelated question. Does this forum send an email notification when there’s been a reply to my post? I didn’t receive any email notification.

Regards,

Prodos

Hi @prodos,

Sorry for the confusion about automatic update, it will only work if you have a recent version that you wish to update to the latest version. Since your version is 4.1.1, then there is no other option but to update it manually. Please forget about the automatic update for now :slight_smile:

And you must update your theme first before the cornerstone to prevent errors. It’s not gonna update your cornerstone since you need to do it separately. But having the theme updated before the builder prevents javascript errors that affect the validation.

After this, you can simply use the automatic update from time to time so your version won’t behind many versions :slight_smile:

As for cloning, you can contact a developer/webmaster to have it done for you. But maybe this http://www.wpbeginner.com/wp-tutorials/how-to-clone-a-wordpress-site-in-7-easy-steps/ could help you. It’s just setting up your test site where you can fix everything. Then once everything is okay, you can migrate back your site from the staging site to live site. This all depends on the process you’d like to do, but I personally like using a plugin. Example, the All in one migration plugin.

You could use All in one migration plugin but that also assumes you already installed an empty Wordpress instance on a destination site (since plugin needs to be installed on Wordpress environment). Example, example.com/live/ export your site from here as a file, then import it to example.com/staging/ using the same plugin. This would help too https://wpshout.com/quick-guides/all-in-one-wp-migration/, but the purpose of migration is cloning instead of moving :slight_smile:

As for notification, it should send you the notification. Have you checked your spam folders? Make sure the tracking button is set to Tracking instead of Normal, it’s the button below this thread.

Let me know if you need more clarification and we’ll discuss it one by one :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

Greetings Rad,

Thanks for the those details.

Looking at this page: https://theme.co/changelog/
… I see it refers to X 6.1.6

More confusion, I’m sorry to say.

Am I to understand that X is in fact at version 6?

If so, why would I update to one of the version 4’s and not update to the latest version – if that’s version 6?

Or should I update to “Pro” instead?

Hoping we can also get this straightened out.

(Update: Reading the “Release Notes” page … it appears that version 6 is not going to be developed further, so X users are supposed to change to Pro. Is that correct?)

Thanks.

Regards,

Prodos

Hello There,

Yes X theme is already 6.1.6. If in some case, you cannot update your version 4.1.1, you will have to update manually. Most probably, you would be able to update X theme to the latest version easily from 4.1.1 to 6.1.6.

Please understand that Pro theme is not an update of X. Pro theme is another theme offered by Themeco that has all the same features of X with the addition of the custom header and footer builders. This theme is great for intermediate and advanced users like designers, developers, etc.

(Update: Reading the “Release Notes” page … it appears that version 6 is not going to be developed further, so X users are supposed to change to Pro. Is that correct?)

• No. X theme will always to be develop further along side with Pro theme. The release note only mentioned:
X 6.1.6, Pro 2.1.6, and Cornerstone 3.1.6 will be the final point releases for this cycle. We will continue to monitor for issues, but our development focus has shifted to the next cycle.

This would mean that the next release cycle would be 6.2.x or 7.x.x.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

Good morning RueNel.

Thanks for the clarification.

That’s very helpful.

I feel I’m finally starting to “get it”. :slight_smile:

Question: Would it be possible for someone at Theme.co to update my site to the latest version of X for a fee?

And then I can, hopefully, maintain further updates with the Wordpress automatic updates thingie.

Thanks.

Best Wishes,

Prodos

Hello Prodos,

Thanks for updating the thread.

Can you please share website login and FTP details in a secure note? We will first take a complete backup and update the X Theme to the latest version for free. :smiley:

Thanks.

1 Like

Really?

Wow! You sure know how to turn frustration into joy! :smile: :heart_eyes:

Thanks so much.

Will provide details when I get back to my other computer.

Many thanks.

Gratefully,

Prodos

No problem.
We will be standing by.

1 Like

Greetings.

Thank you again for the generous offer to update my X theme website.

Here are my details in the “Secure Note” …

Hi @prodos,

It’s a live site and has a very old version of the theme, I can’t really recommend updating it directly. Instead, I created a clone of your site (detail is in the secure note).

I cloned it using All in one migration plugin then I updated them to the latest. Please check it and let us know if something is off then maybe we can add a bit of fix. Once confirmed that it’s all working then we can migrate it back to your live site.

Thanks!

1 Like

Greetings Rad,

Firstly, thanks for trying to help out.

Are you saying that I can’t have the latest version of X on my site?

Or are you saying that you can update the cloned site and then move that to the real site?

Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean.

Anyway, I had a quick look over of the cloned version and it all looks fine to me.

Can it be updated to the latest version?

Thanks for your assistance.

Best Wishes,

Prodos

Hi @prodos,

You can have the updated version in your site. But, I only cloned and updated it since your existing version is very old, and it’s the recommended process.

Updating an old setup could cause failures and issues that can put your site down, and if that happens then it’s okay since it’s done in the cloned one.

Since you confirm that it’s okay and fine, I can start moving the clone one back to the real site but before I do this, please backup your real site to make sure you have a copy if the process fails. And I can’t do that since we’re not allowed to collect data due to privacy concern.

Let me know, Thanks :wink:

1 Like

Good morning Rad,

From an earlier post on this thread …

If there is still some sort of “privacy concern” …

I hereby fully authorise and approve themeco making a backup of my site for the purpose of this upgrade process.

Thanks for all you help.

Best Wishes,

Prodos

Hello Prodos,

I went ahead and updated your X theme. Your Cornerstone is up to date as well.

Please check your site now.

1 Like

Greetings RueNel,

Terrific!

Amazing service.

I really expected to be given the total “round-around” but you and the ThemeCo team defied all expectations!

Thanks so much.

:smile: :sunny:

Best Wishes,

PRODOS

Hi @prodos,

Happy to hear that. This kind of words inspires us to do best in our job.

Feel free to asks us again.

Thank you so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.