Complications While Attempting to Update Theme

I’m just trying to update a client’s site to be running the latest theme, updated plugins, etc. It appears as if everything is updated through dashboard but I don’t believe it is as I don’t have access to Cornerstone or basically any of the other X extensions I see on our other sites using updated X themes. I think part of the problem is that GoDaddy has this site on php 5.4 but any time I try to update this I lose access to the Wordpress dashboard. Tried updating to php 5.6 and updating Revolution Slider which I was told was the problem. Still had issues–finally had deactivate all plugins, revert php back to 5.4 and then reverted everything back to its original state…just need some guidance on how to update the theme so I can actually move forward with updating content.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Hi there.

If you are not seeing the list of extensions in X > Validation, it could be that the site is not validated yet so you will have to validate first the theme installation.

If you are seeing the list of extensions but they look disfigured, kindly check that you have both updated X and Cornerstone to the latest version because forgetting to update one of them will result to an incompatibility issue.

Also make sure that you have your Wordpress updated to the latest version and you have cleared your site’s cache after updating.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your quick response. I am seeing exactly two extensions: Revolution Slider and Visual Composer. I believe the issue is stemming from X not being updated to the latest version, however, I can’t figure out how to do this without losing accessing to Wordpress in the process. From articles I’ve read, it seems that I need to first update my php but that causes me to lose access to dashboard/Wordpress login. Do I need to completely uninstall and re-install X theme? In doing so will I lose my existing site?

Hi Chrisstegner,

Yes, you need to do that first, WordPress requires Php 5.6 or higher. Try to deactivate all the plugins first before you upgrade the PHP.

After that, update your Wordpress to the latest version.

Updating WordPress

Then update X and Cornerstone, and extensions to there latest versions. Since you can not do the automatic update because your X and Cornerstone is outdated, please follow the Manual X Update Via FTP method in the article below. Then revalidate your X.

Updating Your Themes and Plugins

After that update your 3rd party plugins. Then activate your plugins one by one and see if something is causing an error.

If you have a caching plugin or caching feature (server-side, CDN, and browser’s cache) on your site, I advise that you Clear and Deactivate it for now. Always keep a backup of the entire site first, to play safe.

Let us know how it goes,
Cheers!

That did the trick, thank you for those resources–they were super helpful. Really appreciate your time and patience on this, so glad to have a quick solution!

Glad we were able to help :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.