Classic text missing on website front page but is still there when editing?

Hello there,
Sorry I am a completed newbie to all this, but I noticed whilst working on my Wordpress X theme website today 2/11/19 that the classic text in only a few sections are not showing when you view the website in normal mode it’s not there but when you go in and edit it’s there? I am unsure if this is due to a plug-in issue or Wordpress :see_no_evil: or something I’ve done :see_no_evil::crazy_face::sob:

Hello @allanach69,

Thanks for writing in! The text were not missing. It is on the page and invisible. That is because there is JS error on the page which prevented the fade in animations and the text to display. I am also seeing a broken html code added to the page.

You have added this:

<h4 class="resp-p-timeline mts mbn" style="padding-left: 20px; text-align: right;"><span style="color: #ffffff;"><blockquote  class="x-blockquote center-text" ></span><br />
<span style="color: #ffffff;"> You want to change your life but don’t know</span><br />
<span style="color: #ffffff;"> where to start, I’m here to guide you. </blockquote></span></h5>

The correct one should only be:

<h4 class="resp-p-timeline mts mbn" style="padding-left: 20px; text-align: right;">
  <blockquote  class="x-blockquote center-text" >
  <span style="color: #ffffff;"> You want to change your life but don’t know</span><br />
  <span style="color: #ffffff;"> where to start, I’m here to guide you. </span>
  </blockquote>
</h4>

And you also added this:

<a style="color: #0000ff;"href="http://rachelallanach.com/work-with-me/">Find out more here</a>

the correct code should be:

<a style="color: #0000ff;" href="http://rachelallanach.com/work-with-me/">Find out more here</a>

I am not sure yet what’s causing the JS error. Do you have any caching plugin installed? Please provide us access to your site so that we can check your settings and investigate further. Please create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

To know how to create a secure note, please check this out: https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/how-to-get-support/288

Cheers.

thankyou for your quick reply - I have just seen this and so I am no good with the coding side of things but can tell you that this code has been like it for years :frowning: so unsure why its gone tits up. I can send you a secure not but are you wanting my login in details sent ? or do I have to create a user for you slight_smile:
I don’t think I have a caching plugin installed.

hello again,
I have added the first code and didn’t see any changes but I can now see my tagline … woo hoo (happydance) thankyou. Still cant see the text on the blue block and when you scroll the page it keeps going past the footer ? and also I notice when in mobile mode you can not access the tab to click to different pages ?

Hey @allanach69,

I have logged in and fixed the broken codes already. I saved my changes and all is left now is the JS error on the page. I have checked your other pages and it seems to me that the JS error only occurred in the homepage.

By the way, I already tried reinstalling the WP core and the X theme. Clearly, the JS error could be coming from somewhere like the page or the plugin. This maybe be coming from a plugin or 3rd party scripts added to the page. Please try to recreate the homepage in a new page. We need to check where this JS error coming from. If possible, you could try testing for a plugin conflict. You can do this by deactivating all third party plugins, and seeing if the problem remains. If it’s fixed, you’ll know a plugin caused the problem, and you can narrow down which one by reactivating them one at a time.

Since the text were not displaying because of the JS error, I have temporarily disabled the fade in animations. The text should display by now.

Kindly let us know how it goes.

Hello and thank you so much yes I can see the texts now :slight_smile: wooo hooo
Any ideas how this happened ? I haven’t a scooby do about these things and so had no idea how to fix it. I am unsure how to check the plug in process and what am I actually looking for if you have sorted it ? And I notice you cant navigate from a mobile view of my site the little tab thing doesn’t seem to work. I wouldn’t know how to recreate the page with the fade it bits to it… is it still showing right in cornerstone ?
thankyou so so much :slight_smile:

Hello @allanach69,

Because of the JS error in your homepage, the mobile menu will not work. It is affected by this JS error. This only happens in your homepage only. As you visit other pages, the mobile menu works and that there are no issues in the other pages. Having said that, I have suggested that you recreate the homepage from scratch to another page. In this way, you can slowly figure out which part of the homepage maybe causing the issue or generating this JS error which happens to be present only in your homepage.

Hope this make sense.

Hello again,
Thank you again for your help and support and your quick response. Ive just figured it out that its only not working on the front page. I wonder when the cornerstone up date was as I think that’s the only update ive done recently.
Also I wonder if you can show me what you mean about it the fade in animation as I don’t remember how that looked or what it means ( I am so sorry for not knowing these things) but I am willing to learn but of course it will take me a while to catch up hahah. I saw that this issue could be to do with a plug in issue but again I am unsure if I have to know how to deactivate each one and see if it changes things and like I said I don’t know what I am looking for…
could you tell me where you disable the fade in within the site ? so I can have a look to reinstate it ?
The only thing ive amended on the front page is change an image on my mail chimp sign up form as it was not showing right… so I am pretty sure that this issue came during that time… but after cornerstone update. This little blip has taught me much as I need to make sure I have a good team to call on when I am working at the weekend on my business and needing a back up for my site and a well to do expert to help me when things go tits up.
I am so grateful you managed to come to my rescue as I needed to launch my freebie this weekend and coudlnt do it as the site was not working.
p.s is there a way to reinstall back to a time when things were ok ?

Hi @allanach69,

I did go ahead and resolved the issues, the mobile menu works now, it’s the MailChimp form code that you placed on the bottom of the homepage that is causing the issues, It needs some tidying up, I remove the invalid HTML markup, place the styles in the Page CSS area, and the scripts to the Page JS area.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

1 Like

Hello @friech
Oh my goodness - Thankyou so much for sorting this. My business coach was actually suggesting I change my theme :frowning:( as to put this right would be expensive. How can I stop this from happening again ? I Actually paid someone to add this form to my website and so I cant believe this has caused the problem. Can you let me know what I actually need to do now and again remember I am new to all this. Isn’t it a case of copying the code onto page and it being ok ?

Many thanks

Can you please advise how to bring back the amination that was originally set up on front page? It was turned off ? and I asked how to turn it back on but never got a reply. Also If I could have the exact details about why the mail chimp form was creating such issues as I paid for this to be placed on the front page and will go back with this info for a refund.

Hi @allanach69,

There are invalid HTML markup on the code like extra <div> and extra quotes, I corrected those. I’ve moved the CSS styles in the Page CSS area, and the scripts to the Page JS area to tidy things up.

I believe you’re referring to the Fade-In effect (animation) of the column. Since you’re using the Classic Section/Row/Column, please inspect the Column.

Then turn On the Fade Effect option and set which direction it will fade in to.

Hope it helps,
Cheers!

Hello and many thanks,
will have a go now at sorting it :slight_smile:

I am having trouble opening cornerstone to amend it now - its saying something to do with a iframe php error

Hi @allanach69,

Ok, I have resolved that, I figured we cannot really put the form script in the Page JS area.

But now we are back on the original issue (missing text). Upon further investigation I see that there is a conflict with scripts, If we add the form script directly to the page it will create an JS errors resulting to the column fade-in effect not to work (and what not as on the error console it seems the Contact form 7 and Woocommerce plugin are affected as well), this is the culprit why the texts are missing if we enable the fade in effect.

This script

<script type='text/javascript'>(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);
</script>

I can’t go more technical on this because we cannot provide support for 3rd party scripts. What do I advise is to utilize your plugin Easy Forms for MailChimp instead, these plugins provide shortcodes that you can easily add to your page instead of the raw scripts that cause a conflict.

Thanks,

Hello again,
Ok thankyou for sorting this all out for me. And so I am just alittle bit confused as it was all resolved but you are asking me to use easy forms for mailchimp instead now ?

so is everything working now or not ?

Hi @allanach69,

Yes, I was able to resolve it (I thought), but then it created the other issue.

So I reverted it back, now we are back with the original issue where your form script is causing JS errors (one of that errors is the missing text if you enable the fade effect in the column), unfortunately we can not provide support for 3rd party scripts, so I advise to utilize your Easy Forms for MailChimp plugin instead.

Hope this shed some lights,
Cheers!

Until I get the form changes over to easy forms is there any chance we can have it back just with out the fade ? as ive notice today that the small button on the front page that you use to navigate on a mobile is notworking again

Hi @allanach69,

Yes, that is one of the side effects of the error caused by the form script. I did go-ahead and fix that again, so now we are back on this issue:

Here is how you can get around with that when you load the Cornerstone and it stuck to loading (Cornerstone logo), open the Page > JS area, and remove the scripts you see there:

</script>
<script type='text/javascript'>(function($) {window.fnames = new Array(); window.ftypes = new Array();fnames[1]='FNAME';ftypes[1]='text';fnames[0]='EMAIL';ftypes[0]='email';}(jQuery));var $mcj = jQuery.noConflict(true);

Paste that temporarily to notepad so you can paste it back later. After you remove that from Page > JS area, save the page and refresh.

Add back the script after you finish editing the page.

Thanks,

Hello again,
Thankyou for fixing it - I have created a new sign up form with yikes easy forms plug in and will swop it over on the front page. Can you confirm the embeded
mailchimp sign up form is causing all these issues ?