Child theme no longer working

I installed the x theme child theme to add an additional topbar months ago and it worked just fine until last week. Now, when you go to themes, there is an error:

ERROR: Template is missing. Standalone themes need to have a index.php template file. Child themes need to have a Template header in the style.css stylesheet.

I tried adding a blank index.php file in the folder but that didn’t work and the style.css file already has a template header of “x”.

What I don’t understand is that nothing (to my knowledge) changed within the last week. I’m on WP 5.2.2 and X theme 6.5.5 and have been for longer than this has been an issue.

I already tried re-downloading the child theme and to start fresh, but I get the same error.

Additionally, I can no longer select a template in the page attributes, though I’m not sure that’s related.

Can you help?

Hi Zach,

To check if none of the site files you have been compromised, please try to install Wordfence and run and full scan on your site and see if all the files are clean.

If there is no issue with the files, please provide us with the admin access to your site in a Secure Note:

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.