Changing or removing Mailchimp forms and GDPR question

Hello, I have several questions in regards to Mailchimp.

1. In order to be compliant with the GDPR in Europe, we now need a new kind of subscription form. A few days ago I received an email from Mailchimp saying that they now support those kind of forms and that we can enable GDPR for our lists. However, I used to make all my email forms directly in WordPress with X-theme integration, and there this option isn’t available. Is this something that X-theme will address? And if not, do you know an easy way to embed MailChimp forms directly on our site. Their instructions are everything but user-friendly.

2. I now have several Mailchimp forms on my site and want to remove/change them. Two years ago you guys helped me out with inserting a Mailchimp subscription form at the bottom of each blog post. I’d like to remove it now as it doesn’t comply with the new rules, but can’t seem to find where or how to do it. I guess it was in CSS, but over the years and many updates some of the code that used to be there isn’t visible in the ‘customize’ section. Could you guys help me out in locating the code for that form ([x_subscribe form=“3267”]) on my site and delete it? Thanks a lot. I’ll post my site login info in a separate message.

Thanks for your help.
Jurga
https://fullsuitcase.com

Hey Jurga,

####1. I’m sorry but I could not say something about this because we don’t yet have a memo or news about GDPR integration. Please first test the latest version of the Email Forms plugin. You will need to update X and Cornerstone first. Please follow our update guide to avoid problems after updating.

What I can do is forward this to our issue tracker so our development team could be made aware once they go through the list of reports.

You can embed Mailchimp forms using the Raw Content element in your Cornerstone built page and also in the Custom HTML widget if you wish to put it in the sidebar.

####2. Edit your child theme’s functions.php and remove this code.

Thanks.

Thanks so much, Christian.

1. I can embed regular Mailchimp forms using the raw element, but not the ones that I make GDPR - compliant. :frowning: But I guess it’s outside your support scope. Will dig into it deeper.
  2. Thanks a lot for finding this code for me. It worked.

I have two more unrelated questions (now that I’m digging in my CSS and functions.php anyway):
3. With the help from your amazing support a few years ago I inserted the code to show the missing ‘author’ and ‘updated’ information for each post (e.g. The Best Iceland Winter Trip Itinerary for One Week was last modified: January 9th, 2018 by Jurga). It is now at the bottom of each post. But I’d love to move it to the top, because now that the site is a bit older I want people to see immediately if the posts have been updated or not.

I now have this code in CSS, is there a line that I can add here that will move the ‘updated’ and ‘author’ info to the top of each post?

.hatom-extra {
font-style: italic;
font-size: 10px;
margin-top: 5px;
padding-top: 5px;
}

4 I have the code in functions.php that inserts affiliate links warning before each post. Is it possible to also insert a link? So the text ‘affiliate links’ would link to a page explaining what affiliate links are. At the moment it’s this link (https://fullsuitcase.com/privacy-policy-terms-conditions/ ), but in the future I’d probably make a dedicated page explaining what it is.

Thanks a lot for all your help. You guys are the best!

Hi JurgaR,

3- I’ve modified the code in functions.php file in the child theme directory to be like this:

/* Fix "Missing Author" and "Missing Updated" issue - START */
add_filter( 'the_content', 'custom_author_code');

function custom_author_code($content) {
   if (is_singular() || is_single()) {
      return '<div class="hatom-extra"><span class="title">'. get_the_title() .'</span> was last modified: <span class="updated"> '. get_the_modified_time('F jS, Y') .'</span> by <span class="author vcard"><span class="fn">'. get_the_author() .'</span></span></div><br/>'. $content;
   } else {
      return $content;
   }
}
/* Fix "Missing Author" and "Missing Updated" issue - END */

Now you should have this extra line at the top of the post content.

4- I have modified this line in functions.php in the child theme directory to achieve what you want:

$custom_text = "<span>THIS POST CONTAINS <a href='https://fullsuitcase.com/privacy-policy-terms-conditions/'>AFFILIATE LINKS</a></span>";

Thanks.

Thank you SO MUCH! Really appreciate all the help!

You’re most welcome!

Sorry to bother you guys again, but I see that all the sudden there is a white gap between my header and the rest of the site (see attached screenshot). I guess it has to do something with the changes you guys made in the code for the ‘updated’ information? Any ideas how to get rid of it? It’s not just on the home page, but site-wide.
Thanks again!

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in!

I was able to resolve the issue by editing the page and removing the 10px top margin of the first section. I also edited the code added in your functions.php file.

Please clear your caches or use private browsing mode and test the page again.

Thanks a lot!

1 Like