Categories in Ethos 1

Hello Team,

I am using the ethos 1 Theme, and deleted all of the pages, posts, and categories. And I pretty much started off with a blank site. I created my header and footer as well. ( i might have some questions about this later) I created pages for my menu as well.

How would I go about creating categories? Does every category require a page that’s dedicated to it? Or is there a more efficient way to do this? Also will have to have content before creating the categories? Or would it be possible to create sample posts for now?

In the end, I would love to have a newspaper style site where a post gets automatically assigned to the category section in my website. And I can feature certain posts on the home page using revolution slider and the grid. Any tips on how to do this?

I love this theme and can see the possibilities.

Hello There,

Thanks for posting in!

1.) To add a category or a number of categories, you can simply go to Posts > Categories. To know more about categories and how you can use it, please check out this link:

2.) You can always have a newspaper style page in your site. Ethos 1 demo site is using the default blog index layout pre designed for ethos stack. All the sections in ethos 1 homepage can be set up and adjusted in X > Launch > Options > Ethos. You cannot edit the ethos 1 homepage because it displays dynamically generated post items. You will have to assign for your homepage is you want something more newspaper like layout. To do that, simply create a page in Cornerstone to layout the desired number of sections with rows and columns. You can make use of the recent post element in each section to display the latest post for each category. You may also create grid and sliders to be inserted on the page. Later on, you can assign this page as your homepage.

To know more about how you can assign a home page, please check out this codex:
https://codex.wordpress.org/Creating_a_Static_Front_Page#Creating_a_Static_Front_Page

Thank-you for your help, this is great! I have one more question. How do I change the header on my website to have the logo in the middle, the hamburger menu on the left, and the search bar on the right? This would be for mobile only

Hello There,

Thanks for the updates.

Please keep in mind that in Ethos mobile, the logo is on the left and the hamburger menu is on the right. Rearranging it to have the logo in the middle and hamburger menu in the on the left is always possible. Adding a search bar on the right may not be possible because the search is already inside the mobile menu. It could be possible with custom development. Regretfully custom development is outside the scope of our support. Our support only covers getting your site set up, bug fixes and minor cosmetic changes.

If you still want to have a center logo left hamburger menu though, please add the following CSS code in the X > Launch > Theme Options > Global CSS (http://prntscr.com/evui3r)

@media(max-width: 979px){
    .x-brand {
        text-align: center;
        float: none;
    }

.masthead-inline .x-btn-navbar {
        float: left;
        margin-bottom: 20px;
    }
}

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the help, do i have to use Uber Menu in order to have the drop down on the “categories” tab on my header?

How would i link my categories page to showcase certain categories? I want to be able to create a post, put a category tag, and then have it show up on the category page in its own section with “the grid” plugin.

I do applaud you and your team by the way!

Hello There,

Thanks for updating in!

A.) Even if you do not have ubermenu installed, you can still add “Categories” menu item for your menu in the header. Simply go to Appearance > Menus and add a custom link “Categories” with # as the href or link. For more details about how you can manage your menu, please check this:
https://codex.wordpress.org/WordPress_Menu_User_Guide#Creating_Multi-level_Menus

B.) In WordPress, each of the categories has its own category archive page. In order to link to that page from your menu, you will have to add the categories as your sub menu items. Please see the screenshot below:
1.) Appearance > Menus

2.) Add a custom link

3.) And add your category links as submenu link

C.) And you can display the items in your category page archive with masonry layout. You can find this setting in X > Launch > Options > Blog > Archives and set the style to “Masonry”.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Okay so I have been messing around with everything and so far it’s looking good.

I do have a question now about the search bar, how do I change the page that users see when they click enter with nothing typed in the search bar? Right now if a user brings up the search bar, clicks enter, it will just bring up a bunch of random test posts. I would like it to either do nothing or show the “sorry nothing can be found here” page. Thank-you for all of your amazing help!

Hi,

That is wordpress standard result when you search for blank.

Regretfully modifying it could only be possible with custom development, but this would be outside the scope of support we can offer. You may wish to consult a developer to assist you with this. X is quite extensible with child themes, so there are plenty of possibilities.

Thanks for understanding. Take care!

I can probably do it myself, can you overlook this article for me to see if everything would check out to use for the X-Theme?

Also, how would i go about editing the files in my child theme? Im pretty confused about this part.

Hi there,

Please check this page for information about the child theme:

And you can find more information about further customization here:

Hope this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.