Can't update wp & plugins - get 500 error - Want to start new

I have been getting an internal error when attempting to update WP and the plugins on my website. When attempting to update them it will actually crash my site and put it into a maintenance mode. I have to use godaddy to reinstall a backup to even get the site back up. I am unsure how to uninstall the theme and just started with an update version. I can not add plugins either.
I would really just like to use one of the new theme releases and redo my site, but can’t delete the current version of X theme.

Would really just like to start new from scratch with X theme.

Hello @sully13190,

Thanks for asking and I am really sorry for the error message you are getting while updating.

In case you have already developed the website or in a advance stage of developing the website, it will be a loss of man work hours you have already invested. And there is no guarantee that the 500 error message won’t come back in future when you choose to update WordPress, plugins.

So my recommendation would be to try and find out why 500 error message is coming up and then look for some solutions. As you are trying to update WordPress and plugins and in process 500 error message is showing up, there might be a issue of memory. Please try to increase PHP Memory Limit of your server. Click here for more detailed information and how to increase the PHP memory limit.

I also suggest you to please follow some more solutions mentioned in following article:

However, if you would like to start fresh then I suggest you to delete current Theme and download latest version of X Theme from Themeforest or members area and then install the same. You can delete current version of Theme from FTP using software like Filezilla. Please navigate under /wp-content/themes/ and delete X folder.

To get started with Filezilla, please take a look at following article.

Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.