Can't preview my site in X

Hi,

I was using an older version of X and manually updated to the latest version. My previous site has now lost it’s functionality, willing to start over but having issues with just previewing the site in cornerstone and in the customize section - Help!

I also keep getting these messages: Uh oh!
An unidentifiable error is preventing the live preview from loading. Switching to Skeleton Mode.

A conflict on the front end of your site has prevented the preview from loading.

Hi,

The message in general is a generalized error message that can mean one of many things. Please make sure to read the following thoroughly and follow all steps outlined.

The message can be caused by the following:

A plugin conflict. This could be a new plugin you’ve recently added or it can be a plugin that has recently updated and introduced a javascript error or similar in the front-end output. Please deactivate all plugins apart from Cornerstone and see if the error still exists. If it doesn’t. Reactivate all plugins one by one until the issue happens again. That then means plugin “ex” caused the error.

Incorrect setup of SSL. If you have an SSL certificate on your site. You should have the WordPress Site URL and Address URL settings set to HTTPS if you are loading the builder via HTTPS. This can be checked via your wp-admin > general > settings. If you aren’t using SSL you can ignore this step.

Caching. If you have a caching plugin activated or any form of server side caching please disable it to test for any possible conflicts. If you have server side caching or aren’t sure if you do, your host should be able to advise of this and disable it for testing purposes on your account.

Cloudflare. If you are using Cloudflare please disable this for testing purposes. Cloudflare by default enables an auto minfication function to compress the JS and CSS files of the theme. As the theme already serves minified files, re-minifying said files only causes to break the entire site.

Custom code syntax error. If you have a child theme, please enable the child theme and check if the issue still exists. If you have entered any custom JS or CSS into their respective editors. Please review the code for any syntax errors. A mis-placed semi-colon or a missing bracket will cause the issue you’re seeing.

Then make sure you have the following version numbers. https://theme.co/apex/forum/t/troubleshooting-version-compatibility/195

If you could please try the above and if you still have the issue we’d be more than happy to assist.

Thanks

Ok - I tried everything and still the same error messages. The only plugin running is Cornerstone, enabled child theme (with no custom JS or CSS), not using cloudflare, no caching plugins running, I do not have a SSL cert… Also, I recently downloaded FileZilla and was dumb enough to click on the speed test at the end… Wondering if I was hacked through my FTP server. Currently running virus software.
(also have the latest version installed)

Hello There,

Would you mind providing us the url of your site with login credentials so we can take a closer look and fix the issue? This is to ensure that we can provide you with a tailored answer to your situation. Once you have provided us with your URL, we will be happy to assist you with everything.

To do this, you can create a secure note with the following info:
– Link to your site
– WordPress Admin username / password

• FTP Hostname
  • FTP Username
  • FTP Password

Thank you.

Ok my information is as follow:

Hello There,

Thank you for providing the information.
I have re uploaded the X theme files. It seems to have resolved the issue.

Please check your site now.

It’s working!!! So just deleting the file and re-uploading was all you did? :thinking:

Also - how can I change the tab text? It currently load a ‘vertical line’

Hello There,

Yes I re uploaded the files. There might be some corrupted files and I have deleted and re uploaded the theme files instead.

To change the title of the tab, please add your Site Title and Site Description in settings, Settings > General.

Hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

So I changed the tag line and was able to change the header on the Home page… but I am noticing that vertical line on each tab still there (either before the text or after) … hmmm

Hi There,

By default it will display like this: Site Title | Tagline. Since your Site Title is empty, we’re just seeing | Tagline.

The function handling this part is x_wp_title() on this file \wp-content\themes\x\framework\functions\global\meta.php. Feel free to copy that functions on your child theme’s functions.php and remove | if you don’t want it.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for the information. I am pretty new to all this stuff. Currently I switched my theme back to ‘X’ once we solved the first issue - Would I still need to paste that function into child theme’s function.php? Would I access this through my FTP protocol? Also I do not mind filling in the ‘Site Title’ but when I do - an actual title is set in place on the home screen (which I don’t want) - only want it on the tab.

Hi,

Yes, you need to login to FTP and navigate to wp-content/themes/x-child/functions.php

Download the file and add your code, then upload it back again overwriting the file.

Please also note that you need to activate your child theme for the code to take effect.

Thanks